VOGONS

First post, by Paradoxpm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!
I found this working IBM Socket 3 Motherboard, but I can't figure out the model. I want to mess a little with the jumper settings, but I have no manual for it.
Any ideas? Anything you could tell me about this board would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The chipset is a https://theretroweb.com/chipsets/452 and supposedly supported 3.3V CPU.

There are some weird things on this that suggest it was custom to some OEM product--like the power delivery and the riser.

Please consider submitting it to https://theretroweb.com/info/contributions

Reply 2 of 8, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paradoxpm wrote on 2024-05-05, 09:01:

Hello everyone!
I found this working IBM Socket 3 Motherboard, but I can't figure out the model. I want to mess a little with the jumper settings, but I have no manual for it.
Any ideas? Anything you could tell me about this board would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Yes, that is a board with the Symphony Wagner chipset, I am currently fiddling around with such a board. Seems to be pretty complete with graphics and I/O.

Reply 4 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bellator wrote on 2024-05-05, 17:17:

That would be the OP - Help me troubleshoot a vintage old Japanese all-in-one 486

Chances are it's a custom board for the CF-32GP, so any BIOS or board settings info may be a stretch.

If there is a manual, we can only hope it's not illustrated !!! (Guess who? Ha ha ha HA ha, ha ha ha HA ha, ha ha ha HA ha, hehehehehehehe!)

Panasonic WWP.jpg
Filename
Panasonic WWP.jpg
File size
199.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Panasonic Woody PD.jpg
Filename
Panasonic Woody PD.jpg
File size
319.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 8, by Paradoxpm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2024-05-05, 17:46:
That would be the OP - Help me troubleshoot a vintage old Japanese all-in-one 486 […]
Show full quote
Bellator wrote on 2024-05-05, 17:17:

That would be the OP - Help me troubleshoot a vintage old Japanese all-in-one 486

Chances are it's a custom board for the CF-32GP, so any BIOS or board settings info may be a stretch.

If there is a manual, we can only hope it's not illustrated !!! (Guess who? Ha ha ha HA ha, ha ha ha HA ha, ha ha ha HA ha, hehehehehehehe!)

Panasonic WWP.jpg
Panasonic Woody PD.jpg

You can just imagine the hours of hilarity when hearing the name!

But how would I go and fiddle with the jumpers without breaking anything?

Reply 6 of 8, by Paradoxpm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are my findings after a couple of days of tinkering.
1) The main things I'd like to change are clock and multiplier, since I'll be using different 486 cpus with this board.
2) I tried both DX, DX2 and DX4 cpus.

For 1), I believe that the clock generator is an MX8315 in SOP 14 surface mounted package configuration, since it is near the crystal oscillator working at 14.318. Here are its specifications:
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/components … ator_199309.pdf
Specifically, I believe clock is determined by whether pins S0-S2 are set to high or low. Normally I would guess these are set through jumpers, but in this board they are connected to 472 resistors and then ground. Would those resistors be used to filter interference coming from ground? As per the previous specifications, S0-S2 set to zero mean 33.3 Mhz clock, which corresponds to what I see on the board. Do you think that there is any way to operate on those pins, or is it common to have them factory-set to a specific hardware configuration in OEM boards?

Regarding 2), I believe the star of the show is the factory-unpopulated JP20 on the side of the board. I found that one of the pins is connected to R17 in the cpu socket. By putting a jumper on the pins shown in picture, I was able to set the 100mhz AMD DX4 to DX2 operation (strangely, 33.5*2=67.1Mhz). Moreover, Intel 486DX works out of the box with no modifications to voltage pins. I have also tested that the VOLDET pin works correctly and outputs 3.3 or 5V depending on the CPU installed. Weirdly, AMD 486 DX2-66V15BGC does not respond to the jumper modification outlined above and always runs at 3X multiplier.

Based on the above, any ideas or observations would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is so IBM PC 330/350.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 8 of 8, by Paradoxpm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2024-05-09, 12:41:

It is so IBM PC 330/350.

Yeah, I though so too!
I’ve not been able to find any other motherboard with the same layout though.
Do you know if there are any guides for finding jumper configurations in 486 boards? How about clock?