VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to do some systematic testing of speed sensitive games and how they respond to different throttling methods.

I know there is the Vogons Wiki list of CPU speed sensitive games.

Unfortunately that list isn't entirely accurate. Some games listed don't seem to exhibit issues in my testing, while other speed sensitive games aren't listed.

I'm also looking for specific examples of games that when throttled still might exhibit issues. This could include input issues, audio slowdown, etc. I'm hoping to compare these to systems running at period correct speeds to see how the games perform.

Any suggestions for specific games? Any suggestions on specific issues with games relative to certain throttling methods?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to add a few games I am testing which are not listed in the Vogons Wiki:

• Blackthorne - music won't play
  • Dark Forces - General MIDI causes system to lock up
  • Police Quest II - intro sequence animations are speed sensitive
  • Titus the Fox - music plays back incorrectly

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 9, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some that came to mind and didn't notice on that wiki page:

- Terminal Velocity (mouse sensitivity gets sluggier and sluggier the faster the CPU is)
- Star Wars: TIE Fighter (same as with Terminal Velocity, but also it affects enemy behavior
- The Incredible Machine (runs way too fast, sound/music issues)

Also the installers of Mortal Kombat II and Raptor: Call of the Shadows are CPU speed sensitive, but the actual game doesn't seem to be.

Reply 3 of 9, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One game I could not get to work at all using DOSBox on a P4 was a freeware, it was found in one of my 50+ DOS games CD:s, called 'Find Felix the Cat', and it had issues with fast computers, also according to the developer who I got in contact with. It was made to run on old 8088 PC:s and DOSBox speed limits could not throttle it enough, and it just displayed nonsense graphics and crashed.

Some other are DOS flightsims:
1990 Stormovik by EA had issues with getting off the ground on fast machines, but there was a workaround for this, by speeding up time.
1995 EF2000 by DiD has an issue with a certain missile that managed to fly through enemy planes without doing any harm, on machines with Pentium CPU:s > 120MHz, due to how the game sampled the missile location.

Reply 4 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
  • Brix can occasionally crash at startup and when it doesn't you will get noisy garbled sound.
  • For a game based on the Wolfenstein 3-D engine, Corridor 7's color-cycling effects and gun bobbing are way too fast.
  • Although not seen as a speed-sensitive game, Ken's Labyrinth on faster computers has some rendering issues at 360x240 and then there is the situation with opening/closing doors at a fast rate.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 9, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-05-07, 16:15:
Just to add a few games I am testing which are not listed in the Vogons Wiki: […]
Show full quote

Just to add a few games I am testing which are not listed in the Vogons Wiki:

• Blackthorne - music won't play
  • Dark Forces - General MIDI causes system to lock up
  • Police Quest II - intro sequence animations are speed sensitive
  • Titus the Fox - music plays back incorrectly

I've found that I need to slow the P4 down to about the equivalent of 900MHz to get General MIDI to work in Dark Forces.

Reply 7 of 9, by DrAnthony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2024-05-07, 19:52:
  • Although not seen as a speed-sensitive game, Ken's Labyrinth on faster computers has some rendering issues at 360x240 and then there is the situation with opening/closing doors at a fast rate.

I was just going to mention this one. I ran into back in the 90's where the game can be unplayable even on a
75 MHz Pentium.

Reply 8 of 9, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where in the World is Carmen San Diego Deluxe has a timing bug in the Sound Blaster drivers that cause the sound FX to fail at high CPU speeds (the game and OPL music continue to run). I have to disable the caches to get sounds FX to work.

Last edited by fosterwj03 on 2024-05-08, 03:14. Edited 1 time in total.