VOGONS

First post, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The motherboard is MATSONIC MS9138E . It's a nice mATX P4 motherboard with many features that make it retrogaming suitable like easy underclocking and universal AGP 1x-4x full windows 98 compatible. I have a problem with the one in my hands . Loose Bios settings after shutdown . Battery changed , also I tried the jumper that clears bios settings in . I think its a motherboard issue ,is there any check point to see if battery supplies voltage or if someone had a similar issue , any sugestion will be helpfull

Last edited by laios67 on 2024-05-14, 14:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium III 1ghz Coppermine 750mb SBLive! Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
Compaq Deskpro Pentium III 933 EN 500mb Geforce4MX 440 AGP
Pentium 4 1.8ghz Northwood 500mb Voodoo 3 3500 AGP
Pentium 4 1.7 ghz Northwood 1gb Voodoo3 3000 AGP

Reply 1 of 8, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check battery with multimeter set on Ampere. Does the battery deliver something like 100-200mA? (Don't check long, this is short circuit current) If not, it is dead.
And yes, you can accidentally swap one dead battery with another one.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 2 of 8, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll check it although I think the case of a brand new branded dead battery is abysmal low

Reply 3 of 8, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does the bios keeps any setting at all ?

I dont like to say it but *could* be a capacitor issue ...

if you have a multimeter yuu could also follow the 3v power from the battery (with the PC switched off) to the bios and chipset to see if some component like a resistor or trace is interrupting the power

Good luck !

Reply 4 of 8, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if you have a multimeter yuu could also follow the 3v power from the battery (with the PC switched off) to the bios and chipset to see if some component like a resistor or trace is interrupting the power

I'm afraid that this has to be done , I also saw on youtube that sometimes is the crystal or the soldering to it

no nothing I don't care much about date but I want to play with the AGP multipliers , with the default settings it is stuck in 4X and theese are the only working

Reply 5 of 8, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
laios67 wrote on 2024-05-14, 16:59:
I'm afraid that this has to be done , I also saw on youtube that sometimes is the crystal or the soldering to it […]
Show full quote

I'm afraid that this has to be done , I also saw on youtube that sometimes is the crystal or the soldering to it

no nothing I don't care much about date but I want to play with the AGP multipliers , with the default settings it is stuck in 4X and theese are the only working

- the crystal is probably not the cause.... it would cause your date and time tro freeze or the pc not to boot but not loose your bios settings
there are not many things that make the bios settings to be lost...
- either the power circuitry that keeps it alive is not working but in this case the settings would probably only be lost after a shutdown witch seems to be the case.
- or the CMOS memory is being affected by something like capacitors or the memory itself is damaged

Can you reflash the bios ?
I have had bios behaving a little crazy like loosing values and not displaying info correctly that were corrected by a bios reflash

cheers

Reply 7 of 8, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I reset the bios again , longer time shorted , and it seems now ok , shutdown several times the settings are there hope that was just as simple as it seens

Reply 8 of 8, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
laios67 wrote on 2024-05-15, 16:19:

I reset the bios again , longer time shorted , and it seems now ok , shutdown several times the settings are there hope that was just as simple as it seens

wonderfull 😀