VOGONS

First post, by UpNorth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to ask in general if replacing the MFM drive with another in an Olivetti M240 is possible? I do not own an M240 yet, but am thinking of picking one up, and am assuming the MFM drive is broken.

Reply 1 of 1, by UpNorth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To attemtp to answer my own question: there is an M240 Service Manual, the PDF file is called M240_SM_OLIVETTI_EN.pdf and is available on archive.org
https://dn790005.ca.archive.org/0/items/manua … OLIVETTI_EN.pdf

There, on page 2-58 there is a table according to which 4 different drive types can be installed, all four are 26 MB in size

• NEC D 3126
  • Tandom TM 262/363
  • OPE XM 3200
  • Miniscribe M 8425

The fact that all four are 26 MB drive hints at the possibility that only one geometry is supported, which is a bit catastrophic. Especially for MFM drives that are massively dying off, with maybe a handful brands surviving (WD seems to be the hardier type... maybe).

Note that the function of the WD1002A-WX1 DIP switches as mentioned in the M240 manual is DIFFERENT from the ones in the WD1002A-WX1 manual itself! The manual has three different jumper tables, depending on the BIOS revision. But none of the jumper tables results in the selections as documented by the Olivetti M240 Service Manual.

Note also that the WD1002A-WX1 was published by..... Olivetti!

This is fascinating.

Am I missing something? It's as if Olivetti had a split personality - if I am to follow the Service Manual, the WD1002A-WX1 controller can only attach to those four 26 MB drives. If I am to followOlivetti's very own WD1002A-WX1 manual, then more options are available, except 26 MB ones 😀