VOGONS

Absolute best, Most reliable fans

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, it’s not unheard of for stuff like this to last that long without maintenance, this overheating thing is a real problem. That if overcome, could extend life out that far.

The inverters on this site were comissioned in the late 90’s originally and are functional to this day without recap. 24-7-365 operation. Trace SW can’t beat em.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 22 of 28, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Over the top design: Heat pipes on massive cooling blocks as 1st line buffers, heat transfer to some larger liquid tank as secondary buffer - you have cooler nights I assume, when you can get rid of the heat outside...unless you also need to hide the heat signature, then instead dig down & find an underwater aquifer to cool it. No moving parts, but you still need to protect for overheating when other electronics fail.

Reply 23 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
demiurge wrote on 2024-05-13, 23:07:

In the nuclear industry we have lots of experience with things that have to work 99.99999% of the time. When that cannot be achieved, we build in redundancy. If I was the engineer I would have to build in a parallel supply fan that could be automagically put online if the other's tachometer read below spec. You might want to consider looking at the MTTF specifications to determine your engineering outcomes.
My personal experience with Delta fans are that they move air like mad and are loud because of it.

The standard is for two back to back fans designed to push enough air even with back pressure from one fan being seized. Fan monitoring is to allow for graceful shutdown if cooling fails.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks ! A Very interesting topic. Wish I could add something
added: oh wait I can: Intel used lots of Delta fans in their retail boxed heatsinks plus their after market, many are still working 10-15 later....so yes Delta

Last edited by Horun on 2024-05-15, 03:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 25 of 28, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Papst metal frame seem to go forever. Comair-Rotron are also brutes, and have models specifically designed for nasty environments.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 26 of 28, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 21 year old Panasonic Panaflo 80mm in my Athlon XP system. I can say with some level of confidence that it has experienced more "on" time than the vast majority of desktop PCs of that age since I (and others) have used this PC pretty much consistently since I built it back in 2003.

There are probably plenty of fans that can run like this, but I figured I'd put in my 2 cents. 😀

Also, Nidec seem very reliable. And I have a Sunon that is 30 years old and still works (though hasn't been used much in the past 15). Delta can be good, but I have also seen some of their cheaper, smaller fans be complete garbage. YS Tech seems to make decent small fans though.

2 more cents: As others have said, this seems like a somewhat poorly designed device since it has no fan or temperature monitoring despite the high risk and cost of overheating. Without seeing it, I doubt we can offer too much help, but I feel like using larger, more reliable industrial fans mounted externally to pipe air through the system via tubes\ducts would be a good alternative to having tons of tiny fans that were never meant to run in such an environment.

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2024-05-15, 05:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 27 of 28, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I forgot Comair Rotron.

leonardo wrote on 2024-05-14, 17:25:

Does ADDA still exist?

I think they do, but my only experience with them is replacing them after they fail. For some reason, almost all of the Adda fans I've seen were sleeve bearing.

Reply 28 of 28, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lti wrote on 2024-05-15, 04:26:

I forgot Comair Rotron.

leonardo wrote on 2024-05-14, 17:25:

Does ADDA still exist?

I think they do, but my only experience with them is replacing them after they fail. For some reason, almost all of the Adda fans I've seen were sleeve bearing.

I think they were Sunon or Delta equivalent up to mid 90s then went all "race to the bottom" as far as what I've found, old old ones, still plugging away, medium old ones, as you say you find them because you're replacing them.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.