VOGONS

First post, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I posted about the laptop that was plugged into the mains some time ago.

I now have the said computer in my possession and am planning to resurrect it. Will post photos tomorrow.

It's IBM PC XT-class, quite large, with 80C88 CPU that can be clocked to either 4.77MHz or 8MHz. It's a 16-bit CPU, an upgrade over the 8-bit 8088. The RAM is 640k.

The power circuit will need extensive modifications - I don't have the original power brick and the batteries have been taken out - and I'll see what the capacitor and CMOS battery situation is when I open it up. The laptop is quite damaged and dirty and is literally falling apart.

It also has a 20Mb HDD.

The LCD screen is quite horrible if Youtube is to be believed, but that's to be expected. There's also an RGB/composite port on the back of the laptop.

If you have schematics and repair manuals for ZWL-180 series laptops, I'd be quite thankful. This is my first attempt restoring something this old.

Compaq Deskpro 2000/P2 300MHz/384Mb SDRAM/ESS ES1868F/Aureal Vortex 2
Asus A7N8X-VM400/AMD Athlon XP 2ooo+/512Mb DDR DRAM/GeForce 4 MX440/Creative Audigy 2
Asus P5Q Pro/Core2 Quad Q9400/2Gb DDR2/GeForce 8800GT/Creative X-Fi

Reply 1 of 4, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As promised, here's the beast itself.

g9EMAeI.jpg

zeaFGqm.jpg

OrP5zhl.jpg

ixP618L.jpg

3Q4Tikr.jpg

Asus A7N8X-VM400/AMD Athlon XP 2ooo+/512Mb DDR DRAM/GeForce 4 MX440/Creative Audigy 2

Reply 2 of 4, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, does anyone know why the laptop has a slot covered by a removable metallic plate in the back? It looks like 8-bit ISA.

Reply 3 of 4, by Dabidoh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
songoffall wrote on 2023-10-10, 10:33:

Ok, does anyone know why the laptop has a slot covered by a removable metallic plate in the back? It looks like 8-bit ISA.

I don't have an answer to the ISA question but I would like to encourage you to finish this restoration! I'm considering buying one of these antiques and wanted to see what problems you ran into.

Reply 4 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also interested in updates, one of this series just made a blip on the radar here, wondering if I want to deal with the double barrelled floppies, when mass storage with have to dangle from some orifice or another... dude on youtube has a zip drive on his, figuring I might use an SD to parallel or something hacked up with a parallel IDE board.

I would assume the blanked off connector was potentially for a docking bay or expansion chassis or something.

I am not sure if I should just be content with my Sharp PC-4640 but the screen is really horrible on that and it doesn't have a monitor port, while the zenith on the radar is supposed to.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.