VOGONS

First post, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Biostar M6VBE Board, that has its EPROM missing.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/biostar-m6vbe#docs

The BIOS is 256kB large.

Could someone tell me which model of EPROM I should get, please?

Reply 1 of 3, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If no one know of a specific model verified to be working in that mobo, slot1 boards usually use a 29 series cmos parallel eeprom. The size is specified in bits, 256kB = 2 Mbit.

Technically any 5V - be aware there are low voltage versions aswell - 29 series 2Mbit cmos eeprom should work. Sometimes the BIOS looks for specific chip ID:s though, and does strange things if the chip you use isn't in the database. It's a bit of a gamble. Things got more complicated when ESCD was introduced, and BIOS started writing configuration data to the eeprom.

There's no standardized naming convention, but you're looking for a 32 pin PDIP package with 29 and 020 (or similar) in the model designation. I've had luck with the SST29EE020 in your situation, but there are plenty of other viable alternatives aswell.

Reply 3 of 3, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
naujoks wrote on 2024-05-16, 05:49:

I have another Slot 1 mobo, which has a MX28F2000P EPROM IC. Could that work here?

Probably it may work, but note that MX28F2000P erasing and programming voltage is 12 V.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"