VOGONS

First post, by aapuzzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a P3 1000 computer running Win 98 SE that I just built that is experiencing a weird issue. Randomly it will just not into Windows 98. It gets to the point that the desktop loads right before the wallpaper loads over the solid background and hangs with an hourglass. I can reboot the machine and it may happen again or may not. I've swapped many of the components out including video card with the same results. Stress benchmarks run fine once the computer is up and running. The only things I haven't tried were removing my voodoo 2 daughter board which I would be surprised if it was the issue since inactive for the most part at boot or the motherboard. I was thinking about recapping the motherboard just for good maintenance. I have a ton of experience troubleshooting and replacing capacitors that came in kits.

I know the basics about how to purchase capacitors and have bought from digikey many times.
I typically check the capacitance, voltage, tolerance paying for more than 20% if it's only slightly more expensive, and temperature rating typically going for 105c or higher for longevity.

The problem is I don't understand when a cap in the list has designations instead of for general purpose. It can be coupling, decoupling, low ESR. I understand ESR can be used as a way to check capacitance in circuit and you would want to know this if validating ESR with a meter but for my purposes of recapping a motherboard does it matter? Do I need any of these specialty designations on my board? Capacitors can meet the typically criteria while being any of the above things. Most guides online on how to spec a capacitor don't talk about these things. Automotive and audio are just higher grade and I understand those.

Please help as I can't find a kit for my motherboard.

Reply 1 of 2, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To find the best solution for your specific mainboard you should provide the mainboard manufacturer, mainboard model and a high resolution picture.

Since most manufacturers knew what they were doing it´s gernerally a good idea to start with checking the exact brand and series of the original electrolytics.
Then you can find equivalents (and sometimes better replacements) among the currently available caps.

Reply 2 of 2, by aapuzzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2024-05-17, 04:41:

To find the best solution for your specific mainboard you should provide the mainboard manufacturer, mainboard model and a high resolution picture.

Since most manufacturers knew what they were doing it´s gernerally a good idea to start with checking the exact brand and series of the original electrolytics.
Then you can find equivalents (and sometimes better replacements) among the currently available caps.

It's a DFI64-EC. some of the caps I can't tell the series but most are Teapo.