VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-05-21, 20:34:

If you have slots available, there is nothing wrong with installing multiple sound cards. Even a pair of sound cards can cover a lot of ground a single one cannot.

I am thinking about this for a while now, as the DMA clicking bug eliminated most of my sound blasters as options for older games.
But clicking bug aside, this system is really too old for much of the real 16 bit audio stuff. So your suggestion above to give up 16bit does make perfect sense to me.

As you may have read, I am currently searching through my Sound Blaster Pro compatibles to find a best solution. But even this reduced profile is not easy to accomplish:
SBpro compatibility, low noise, OPL or close, working wavetable connector.

Current situation favors ESS. Also, the Yamaha gives a loud initialization noise when digital effects are turned on. ESS doesn't.

If the situation remains as it is, the Terratec Gold 16/32 (ESS1868F) gets the job, along with the NEC XR385.

Some technical stuff was moved to another thread:

Spoiler

I am not sure if my problems with the ESS and Yamaha are not related to my ISA-IO controller. Speeding up the ISA bus to 13 MHz cures the ESS.
I am going to run some tests on a much faster PC with the same CF and audio cards.
(Tests on K6-2 show no stutter with ESS. However, now both cards give garbled sound at the start of speach but not for sound effects. The onboard ESS SOLO-1 was disabled for this. If I use the SOLO-1 instead, it runs trouble free.)

Edit: I think I found the reason for the ESS video stutter. I added +10 to files and buffers in autoexec.bat and it seems they are gone, even when bus is at 8 MHz.
Edit2: Ultimately, it is connected to video bios shadow. If I turn it off, the stutter is gone. The buffer increase moves the buffer from himem to low mem.
As this isn't really build related, I opened a different topic about it.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 21 of 24, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ux-3 wrote on 2024-05-21, 20:25:

Perhaps my inbound VLB IO controller can improve things. Just a guess because your troubles seem to have been HDD speed related too.

My VLB controller got here today. It worked out of the envelope like clockwork.

The thing it doesn't do is speed things up. And that surprised me somewhat. When I checked CF performance with Speedsys, it was the same as with the ISA controller. The CF cards can perform much faster in IDE-133, so I thought that VLB might help too. The controller has a speed setting however, which I haven't touched yet. Oh well... And it works! It gains ~27% over ISA.

Reply 22 of 24, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am trying to wrap it up.

SOLVED: I tried installing my two CD cards on IDE one. With a double CF adaptor directly on the connector, they worked fine. When I tried to connect them to two slot bracket connectors, they didn't work. After some research I learned that some CF adapters don't get the slave setting done right. So I ordered two new adapters. And yes, the new ones can be set to slave alright. Old ones work as master, new ones work as slaves.

Ideally, I would want this:
https://zzxio.com/product/mca-slot-dual-compa … to-ide-adapter/
But I didn't find anthing like that in europe. Or on ebay. Anyone?

I am also contemplating to fall back on my old ISA IO controller. New VLB IO works fine and is 27% faster, but also 100% bigger and red. The other cards are green 🙁 (First world problem, I know...)

I still have to take care of the fan in the 30 year old PSU. How do you go about old fan plugs when you change the fan? Or just change PSU?

And I am still unsure if I configured the VLB correctly. This is my board (scroll down for version 2.2)
https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Shuttle_HOT-409_486_VLB
In my board the socket U43 (next to VLB) is empty (which is needed for only VLB master/slave).
The last 4 tables at the very bottom of the link concern VESA configuration.
What if I plug in one or two VLB cards? Would/should I need to set any of that?
I noted that with two VLB cards inserted, I get brief pauses in audio, as if it waits for something?
What are the Vesa modes at the bottom of the link?

Edit: Do I need a -5 Volt line on my PSU? I would prefer to use something not 30 years old.

Edit: Just tried to OC the CPU from 40 to 50 MHZ. It does post, and once I loaded factory defaults, I could boot and run speedsys. Not sure if the gain would be worth the OC really.

Reply 23 of 24, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am done. Decisions are made, problems are fixed.

I have settled on VLB IO controller but will stay with Tseng ET4000 ISA. Sound is "Schubert" ESS1868 with wavetable on a riser. If I need the wavetable elsewhere, I will downgrade to ESS688 with OPL. PSU fan is changed, CPU got a passive cooler from Pentium surplus.
Two overprovisioned 1 GB CFcards store 504 MB each. I am using a Plextor 48x CD-Writer. The PlexPremium would be preferable (silent mode), but I still use it for reading in CDs error free.

Many thanks to all who provided input!

Reply 24 of 24, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its Never Done.
Always something to upgrade.

CF card
16mb RAM
52x CDROM
5429 2mb video card or better.
Sound blaster Pro