VOGONS

First post, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

Firstly I'd like to apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum. If its in the wrong one, could you tell me where should i post it?
Recently wanted to make an shared folder on Windows server 2012 r2 foundation (as I remember) that i can access it on Windows xp to 10. At first I couldn't make network discovery stay on, but later fixed it. Now I can't map an network drive since the server isn't showing up in network, in file explorer. Connecting to an Win 10 shared folder ends up that it can't access the folder since i don't have permission (I have disabled password secured sharing option). Disabling both firewalls doesn't make an difference. Also, when I try to start UPnP service I get error 1068. Any ideas? I'm still new to making shared folders.

Last edited by kotel on 2024-05-31, 12:25. Edited 1 time in total.

"Driving a tank is like a box of chocolates. You never know when you blow up"
- Someone from a tank game

Reply 1 of 7, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also had many problems with my 98 and XP because my windows 10 would not find them on the network

I have searched for a solution but never found one
but because I mostly use Windows 7 as my main setup (YES I use Windows 7) I have since avoided that problem

Good luck

Reply 2 of 7, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nunoalex wrote on 2024-05-23, 15:30:
I also had many problems with my 98 and XP because my windows 10 would not find them on the network […]
Show full quote

I also had many problems with my 98 and XP because my windows 10 would not find them on the network

I have searched for a solution but never found one
but because I mostly use Windows 7 as my main setup (YES I use Windows 7) I have since avoided that problem

Good luck

Problem is, for me, the windows server pc doesn't show up completly in network in file explorer. The error with UPnP fixed it self. Any ideas?

Reply 3 of 7, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fixed it not getting detected in network. The Function Discovery Resource Publication service was disabled. Now to test if it will work on XP, vista, 7 and 8.1.

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First off I'd recommend focusing Server 2012 and Win10 working as they are from the same era. Once we know that's working we can look at XP but that'll will require some fine tuning depending on if you want to use SMB1 or 2

Network discovery can be a bit dodgy Are you able to browse to the computer by manually typing either \\computername or \\IP address in run or address bar?

Reply 5 of 7, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2024-05-24, 00:19:

Network discovery can be a bit dodgy Are you able to browse to the computer by manually typing either \\computername or \\IP address in run or address bar?

Some systems don't show the server PC in network. Although I can connect to it manually by typing \\computername\sharedfolder.
Heres an list of different OS compatibility with mapping the folder
Win 10 - on some shows up in network, on some doesn't
Win 8.1 - same as in vista
Win 7 - only need to type in any letter in username when it asks for the password, shows up in network
Win vista - only need to type in any letter in username when it asks for the password (password sharing is disabled), doesn't show up in network
Win XP - same as in vista
Didn't include 2K and 98SE since i couldn't find a way to enable network detection.

Last edited by kotel on 2024-05-27, 06:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even XP can connect manually, that's great as typically that causes problems.

I wouldn't worry about computers showing up in Network even in the corporate world this doesn't always work.
You can improve your chances by having a local DNS server, all pcs having the same workgroup set but even still, XP especially was bad at finding computers by itself.

BUT

as you already have a Windows server you could set it up as a domain controller and have the other PC's log onto it's domain.
This has the best results as the sever is now responsible for keeping track of not only the PC's logging onto the network but also folder permissions and you can create a login script to map drives if wanted.
As a bonus this will work all the way back to WFW (or even Dos with Network Client 3.0 but I haven't done this) at least in theory as I've never gone newer then 2003 on my retro LAN

Reply 7 of 7, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While current Windows versions still have support for legacy SMB versions used by XP it is disabled due to security reasons.
However you still can enable support for legacy SMB versions.