VOGONS

First post, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently got this card and it seems to be absolutely amazing card.
It's basically the very compatible (and even enhanced kind of) ESS sound card that has built-in E-Wave waveblaster.

But as i have very little experience with any "external synthesizer" concept, i have few questions.

In dos games, when i choose Sound Blaster / Ad Lib, i should be getting ESFM sound, correct?
But when i choose General Midi with 330 address, i should be getting the sound out of that ES692S chip, correct?
I know that General Midi can be chosen without any wavetable additions. So is there a possibility for me to do General Midi with the ESFM synthesizer?
Any other "alternative options" that i should be aware of?

Also, what could those J12 pins be? If there's something even slightly useful to populate with components, i would like to do that. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 1 of 4, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2024-05-25, 14:17:
In dos games, when i choose Sound Blaster / Ad Lib, i should be getting ESFM sound, correct? But when i choose General Midi with […]
Show full quote

In dos games, when i choose Sound Blaster / Ad Lib, i should be getting ESFM sound, correct?
But when i choose General Midi with 330 address, i should be getting the sound out of that ES692S chip, correct?
I know that General Midi can be chosen without any wavetable additions. So is there a possibility for me to do General Midi with the ESFM synthesizer?

Yes and yes. What do you mean by using GM with FM synthesizer? GM uses the sound font stored in the ROM chip.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 4, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dominusprog wrote on 2024-05-25, 15:46:
In dos games, when i choose Sound Blaster / Ad Lib, i should be getting ESFM sound, correct? But when i choose General Midi with […]
Show full quote

Yes and yes. What do you mean by using GM with FM synthesizer? GM uses the sound font stored in the ROM chip.

I vaguely remember from long times ago that if you have a simple sound blaster (or compatible) that does Adlib, then in games setup you could choose "General MIDI" and you get a different variant of FM synth. I might be misremembering, though...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 4, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"General MIDI" doesn't specify any particular type of synthesis.

Yes, in practice that setting is used to operate a sample-based (a.k.a. wavetable) synth, connected via one of the following:
- external MIDI port
- internal Wave Blaster header
- integrated on the card

But!

It's perfectly possible to make an FM synth with MIDI interface + General MIDI instrument mapping.
I've never seen such a thing, but we all know that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...

It's even possible to make a MIDI + General MIDI thing that doesn't use any synthesis!
Imagine an orchestra of robots playing on acoustic instruments...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 4, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, what could those J12 pins be? If there's something even slightly useful to populate with components, i would like to do that. 😀

That may be for connecting VOLUME UP/VOLUME DOWN/MUTE buttons.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.