VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I got a really good deal on 2 NIB LG "gh20lp20" DVD Super Multi drives, and they both came with white bezels, so I put them in my retro beige box. I connected my AWE32 CT2760 to the first drive. However, CD Audio can't be heard. I swapped out the sound card and CD Audio cable, and still heard nothing. I tested the 2nd "gh20lp20" and still no music. I swapped out the drive for some Teach DVD-ROM drive, and the CD Audio is working. I can keep the Teac in there and keep one of the LGs or the previous DVD DL drive I had in there as a slave and not be out too much money as these were $5 a piece plus $12 shipping and they read data just fine. However, they are nice, quiet, and fast and they match, so I am hoping that there is a solution to this strange issue. It has to be something in the firmware or design of the drive itself since both of the "gh20lp20"drives suffer the same issue. I haven't tested the 2 pin spdif in Windows 98 as the primary focus at the moment is DOS.

They are late drives, from 2008. However, they are both IDE and have the same CD Audio connectors as any other drive I have ever used. It is like the drives are muted, somehow. "AUDIO RESERVED" is imprinted on the drive itself and both the analog and digital audio cable jacks are labeled as reserved.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!
Scythifuge

Last edited by Scythifuge on 2024-05-26, 07:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NVM -I found out on some other threads that the expectation on these later drives was that audio would stream through the IDE cable and in Windows, so while they went through the trouble of installing these connectors on the drives, adding time and a little bit of money per drive and having to print "audio reserved" everywhere like frickin' dunces, they don't work and thus absolutely no CD audio in DOS. All well, the Teac and the other DV DL are going back in, and I'll set these stupid LGs off to the side-like.

There is literally always something (often one stupid thing after another) with every one of these builds.

Reply 2 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice Price ! Yeah those are 2008ish last of LG IDE so made for XP and Digi Audio. I think the issue with LG GH20 and GH22 series is that they were switching to SATA only which never seems to have a Analog output and so cheapened the last of their IDE series. There is a good review on the gh22lp20 at cdrlabs but they never say anything about the analog output, of course they are running XP so does not matter AND the manual says "connector not supported" like the GH20lp20.
added: I do like the LG DVD and Bluray burners, have a few and they always work well and seem to last a long time but they are all SATA in newer NON-DOS boxes....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 4, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does this apply to the last PATA models from other manufacturers too?

Reply 4 of 4, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably. Direct audio output on IDE drives started to disappear around the time DVD-ROMs became common because windows 98 defaulted to using audio extraction for playback, and it saved the manufacturers from including a DAC.