VOGONS

Audigy Gold?

Topic actions

First post, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there any such thing as a "gold" version of an Audigy 1? My dad recently bought an Audigy on eBay, which the seller calls an "Audigy Gold" but I haven't been able to find any information anywhere about such a version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=130299499789

Reply 2 of 11, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People usually call Audigy cards Gold if their in and outputs are gold coated.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 3 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep. This is a good card in its class.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 11, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys. Also, am I correct in thinking that Audigy 1 can do EAX 3.0 but not 4.0?

Reply 5 of 11, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hater Depot wrote:

Thanks guys. Also, am I correct in thinking that Audigy 1 can do EAX 3.0 but not 4.0?

AFAIK officially it does not support EAX 3.0, but I'm pretty sure you can softmod it to support it. (AFAIK all Audigy cards based on the EMU DSP have the same capabilities). I use the unofficial DanielK drivers for my Audigy 2 ZS, but they also support Audigy 1. They have some minor glitches, but work for me more stable than Creative ones and they would probably enable EAX 4 for your card.

Reply 6 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EAX3 showed up with Audigy. EAX4 was an Audigy 2 arrival. The entire line of real Audigy 1-4 cards (non-crap SE/LE/Value editions) runs off of the same driver package from Creative. You should be able to get EAX4 from your Audigy 1. But I've never owned or used an original Audigy so some Googling may be required on that topic.

The biggest differences between the cards are in their circuit board layouts. There are small quality differences between the top A1, A2 and A4 cards. Probably imperceptible. They all use very similar DSPs. There is some difference in how the Audigy 1 and 2/4 do 24-bit output. I believe the A1 can't do 24-bit at all. There was a big stink about that back in the day because Creative mis-advertised. 24-bit source audio is something that is super rare anyway. The value of it is actually questionable in general.

Reply 7 of 11, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've done some minimal research regarding an EAX4-capable driver and it was at a very dodgy site that wanted to install all kinds of crap, so that soured me on the idea. I guess I'll take a second look.

Reply 8 of 11, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Google SBAXWXCD - it should point you to a torrent containing SBAXWXCD.iso and SBAXWXCD.txt (the is file around 640 MB). This is the DanielK modified driver for the Audigy Series and Windows 2000 / XP / Server 2003 / Vista (32/64-bit). (in the .txt file there should be mentioned its Revision 2). It is a complete bundle - Drivers + Software. After 5 years of using my Audigy 2 ZS it seems the best package. (the original software from creative refused to run or forgot its settings with the most recent drivers and creative does not update it!).

Reply 9 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hater Depot, are you sure that the official Creative driver doesn't give you EAX4? One way to tell is to install it and then get Everest Ultimate and go to its DirectX Audio page. It'll tell you what features your driver supports.

Reply 10 of 11, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, I don't know at all. The card will not be installed until at least Memorial Day because until then I am out of country. For some reason my dad does not want to do it himself.

Reply 11 of 11, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the audigy2 supports eax 4.0