VOGONS

First post, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can somebody point me in the direction of a good midi daughter board or stand alone for the AWE64 in my P200 machine?

Something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-DB50XG-DB60XG-Soun … =item2c511d113b Little rich for my blood right now, Im outta work. Any cheaper different solutions out there maybe?

Ultimately in a video/cpu guy and sound has always came last, so I don't know a whole lot about it.

Reply 1 of 3, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AWE64 doesn't have a wavetable header, so you're going to be limited to either an external box or a separate card.

That daughter card is nice, I've been thinking about getting one myself, but you'd need to find a different sound card to work with it.

Reply 2 of 3, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well i have a Sound Blaster 32 (complete with box and goods 😁 ) I was originally going to use with the system.

So how does the AWE64 midi compare to the add in midi cards people are using? I also have a AWE64 Gold but I think the midi is the same as the Value card I'm using.

Reply 3 of 3, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as I know the best you can do in DOS with an AWE64 of any kind is AWE32 mode with the ROM samples. I don't believe there was ever a way to load soundfonts under DOS.

Windows is another story. The AWE64 Gold allows you to load a 4MB soundfont bank in windows, while the AWE64 Value is limited to a 512kb bank. This is of course in their stock configuration. Either card could hold considerably more RAM with the proprietary expansion modules. I find that the midi doesn't really sound like much until you have at least a 4mb bank loaded.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium