Advice on a 486 Build

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 154, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rick12373 wrote:

Well, I don't have PC-DOS 2000 and don't seem to be able to find it anywhere online. Would DOS 6.22 be the next best thing?

Yep, it's just a bit more bloated and takes up more resources...as usual with M$ products 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 64 of 154, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to use a memory configuration program with DOS 6.22 (I think). I think it was called QEMM or something. Would that work with DOS 7.1? Or is there another program which will help configure your autoexec.bat and config.sys? Or is it even necessary to use such a program?

Reply 66 of 154, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Microsoft memmaker is included with DOS 7.1. Other help can probably be found on the internet.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 67 of 154, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:
Svenne wrote:

MS-DOS 7.1 is another alternative, and it has more extras.

I was thinking MS-DOS 7 only came with Win95...

That's why I said 7 and not 7.1 😜

Guess I forgot about 7.1, I run 6.22 myself since I have the retail floppies.

Reply 68 of 154, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I got an email from ebay this morning:

Sorry, you didn't win: Old Motherboard 486DX2 66 processor (280435023981)

I replied - Oh that's OK, I think I've got enough 486 mobos, but thank you for your sympathy. 😉

So, if the winning bidder is amongst us, why not tell us how you get on with it?! 😁

Reply 70 of 154, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick12373 wrote:

In that step by step guide to hacking the chip he says right at the end that if he were to do it again he would try drilling some holes in and soldering in some wires so that an external battery can be connected. He has marked on a picture where this should be done but without paying and registering the site will not let you see a big version of the picture. That is annoying as it sounds like it may be an easier way to fix it. I haven't tried firing the board up yet but will try tonight. I put it in the new, old case I found yesterday, put in the graphics card and put a heat sink and cooler on the CPU (had a brand new 486 heat sink and fan in a box that had never been opened). You don't have to use thermal grease for these old CPU's do you? I couldn't see any on the old heat sink I took off.

I have ordered one of those chips from eBay. If I use it and get it to work I will let you know.

Did it arrive? I ordered one too. The packaging was poor - the pins were bent. It's just an old Dallas chip. And I mean old. The BIOS POST screen says the battery is dead. What a waste of time!

The existing Dallas chip was a "DS12887A" chip. The "new" chip does not have the letter "A" at the end, just DS12887. Also, one pin on the "new" chip looks as if it has been chopped off. Is this for the "internal RAM" - to store a password - which features on the "A" chips?

Maybe the BIOS POST error message of :

System battery is dead - replace and run SETUP
real time clock error

was a "false" error message. Perhaps the BIOS was confused about not finding a fully compatible Dallas chip for this mobo?

Reply 72 of 154, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't been able to put the system together yet. I have been busy with work and family. I got the chip though, and it looks like it is in prefect condition.

Reply 73 of 154, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ux-3 wrote:

ALI Chipset? Why bother?

ALi is one of the better 486 chipset..has the best PCI performance of all 486 chipset

Reply 75 of 154, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:
ux-3 wrote:

ALI Chipset? Why bother?

ALi is one of the better 486 chipset..has the best PCI performance of all 486 chipset

That's probably telling of the glorious quality of 486 PCI chipsets. 😁

It was definitely not the finest hour of the industry.

Reply 76 of 154, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
ux-3 wrote:

ALI Chipset? Why bother?

🤣, nope....it was more the rush of releasing new tech before it was ready for the consumers 😜

Reply 77 of 154, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
swaaye wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

🤣, nope....it was more the rush of releasing new tech before it was ready for the consumers 😜

Just like the initial implementation of the 1st generation AGP slots on the Socket 7 motherboards.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 78 of 154, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I may have owned 3 or 4 products with chips displaying their ALI symbol. I cannot say that I want to add another one. But then again, thats what I said about VIA some years ago and now I am gladly using their old stuff when circumstances leave no or little alternative.

Anyone here interested in an old P1 75MHz PC? It is about to be taken away for the waste dump... Dunno about ALI inside though. (iirc it is triton FX)

Reply 79 of 154, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might have an ASUS 486 Socket 3 Motherboard PVI-486SP3 soon. So I will not have to deal with Dallas chip anyway! Joy!