VOGONS

First post, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I'm rebuilding an old Toshiba p3 laptop I've had in the closet for a few years. The screen intermittently blanks out when you type on the keyboard; it turns out the support for the keyboard is a little worn and flexes much more than it should; as a result the 'daughterboard' right under the keyboard (which contains the keyboard/mouse connectoers, as well as video, flexes, resulting in a temporary blackout, system crash, or frozen mouse.

I've remedied this problem by shimming some plastic in between the two boards, keeping the top board from flexing. Seems fine now. (The original design had one corner of the board completely unsupported; just relying on the 'tripod' made by the other corners.)

How common of a problem is this? I'm also planning on maybe reinforcing the metal plate below the keyboard, just to take some flex off the keyboard.

This simple fix seems almost too good to be true. I hope the solder joints on the flexed card aren't wrecked; the fact that a flex makes the system crash tells me maybe one of the tiny surface mount joints is cracked and when the board is flat it just barely touches. I hope the flex was just misaligning the connection between the two cards, and not one of the little SMB parts.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm a little afraid of reflowing the board with a heat gun; the machine does appear to work at the moment.

Reply 2 of 11, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I pretty much intend on doing that; I'll leave the board alone until it has serious trouble.

While I have the whole case open, it's also time to sand off the old finish, fill any case cracks (there's a few, near the hinge), and then repaint the whole exterior. I'm gonna make this thing look new. I'll post pics when its done.

The headphone jack is all messed up. I've put in a replacement. This will be a great little retro-gaming machine. The internal speakers have trouble too, one is very burnt out. But I don't really care about that; I just use headphones anyway 😀

Reply 4 of 11, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pentium III 900Mhz
Geforce 2 16MB dedicated

It's nothing really fast/special, but its something I've had a long time, that still mostly works, and fills a gap in my PC collection: I have a k6-2 450 running win98, and thats good for a lot of games, but the next step up I have is an athlon 64 running xp; There are some things too slow on the k6 but won't run on XP. I tried 98 on the Athlon, but since I got a pci-e video card in there, the drivers won't run.

Reply 5 of 11, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have laptop with the same specs. is it a satellite mine is, it's a 2805 s503. i've taken apart and rebuilt my share of 2805 series, not a bagillion but. about 10 maybe. what is your model number? any pics?

Reply 6 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually those specs are really decent. My desktop in college was a PII-450 that I later upgraded to a PIII-550 using spare parts from a friend, and it was barely able to run Morrowind. At 900MHz you should be able to run a fair amount of stuff - in fact the GPU may be more of a limiting factor.

Also, I hate K6-2's - at least on VIA motherboards. They had terrible AGP performance issues.

Reply 7 of 11, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, the k6-2 is not a speed demon. I think the mobo I have supports k6-3; I hear those have a bigger cache.

The k6-2 is sort of a nightmare system. It's VIA, K6-2, voodoo 3, SB 16. But just about everything pre-Quake 3 runs OK. Quake 3 is sluggy but playable; Quake 2 is ultra-smooth.

I was able to run Unreal Tournament 2004 on the PIII laptop even though it was below the requirements; It was at 640x480 with all the setting turned down, but it was about as sluggy as Quake 3 was on the k6.

Reply 8 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah my brother built a VIA K6-2 380 with Voodoo Banshee, SB Live Value and it was a dog compared to my PII-450, TNT1, SB PCI 128 (later PIII-550, Geforce 2 MX, SB Live X-Gamer).

Reply 10 of 11, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In case anyone cares, I found a replacement video board for my laptop from a place called pchub (http://pchub.com/uph/) . It finally came in the mail, and now this laptop is (electrically) perfect. (I still kept in my 'fix' for the previous board by shimming some plastic between the video board and the motherboard; This second board can't flex at all now, so now it will never develop that particular problem.)

Now I can focus on the cosmetic issues; this laptop is still a bit fugly. Oh well, I'm starting to almost think it's cooler that way.