VOGONS

period pci card wanted

Topic actions

First post, by Simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi my retro pc is using parts from around 96-00, its a pos with no agp so the gfx needs to be pci.

I'm thinking a voodoo3 2000? Or is it worth getting the 3000? or is there anything else i should be looking at? Are there any decent tn2 cards or early geforces to watch out for?

Reply 1 of 5, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can pick up a TNT2 Vanta/M64 PCI for peanuts on ebay but i'm not sure how good they are? A voodoo 3 3000 would be a good choice for D3D, OpenGL and most importantly... Glide support 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can pick up a TNT2 Vanta/M64 PCI for peanuts on ebay but i'm not sure how good they are?

They fall a bit behind a V3 2000 in most things. The only thing it has that the V3 doesn't is 32-bit color support, but it's too slow to really be usable for that anyway.

It kinda depends what your other hardware is, though... '96-'00 is a pretty big spread. For example, if you're using a Pentium 166 or something like that, then a V3 would be major overkill.

Reply 4 of 5, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo3 PCI would be really nice if you're running a PII/ K6-2/ Celly/ PIII. I wouldn't bother if I couldn't get a 3000, most 2000s o/c to past 3000 speeds easily. I had mine at 190mhz without issues.

Reply 5 of 5, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Couldn't go wrong with a Voodoo 3000 or 2000. Or you could use a nVidia TNT2. My 2 cents, I wouldn't worry about lack of 32 bit color support with the Voodoo cards, since you'll be playing pre-millennia games.

In my 1999 win98 machine I have the best of both worlds, a TNT2 Ultra and a pair of Voodoo 2s in SLI. 😁