VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm getting an AGP Voodoo 5 soon, but I'm also thinking of changing my mobo. I'm probably going to get a socket 370 one (i815 maybe) and most of them have AGP 4x. Will the Voodoo 5 work normally on these boards?

Reply 3 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I'm getting an AGP Voodoo 5 soon, but I'm also thinking of changing my mobo. I'm probably going to get a socket 370 one (i815 maybe) and most of them have AGP 4x. Will the Voodoo 5 work normally on these boards?

Don't tell me it was YOU who tried to outbid me? 😜
I got a Voodoo 5 coming my way also!

Now I kinda feel double pissed that I fried my A7V333 🙁 🙁 🙁

Reply 4 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh yah Voodoo5 works in AGP 4x universal slots. 😀 It's a AGP 2x 3.3v card. Just make sure the mobo isn't a 4x only board (some are).

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-07-07, 17:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 16, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Don't tell me it was YOU who tried to outbid me? 😜
I got a Voodoo 5 coming my way also!

Now I kinda feel double pissed that I fried my A7V333 🙁 🙁 🙁

Possibly :p
Anyhow, thanks a lot guys. Finally getting a Voodoo 5 woohoo!

Reply 6 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice!
just remember to have a fan or something blowing at it, those little ones the v5 has are very weak...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The card doesn't really put out that much heat. The 40mm fans are just very low output. My V5 had fans that were getting noisy so I removed them and craftily attached a 80mm. 😁

voodoo580mm.th.jpg

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-07-07, 22:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah swaaye is right, in fact I saw his photo and did exactly the same on my v5 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mine should already have modded heatsinks on them, so it should be relatively easy to cool.
Anyway, untill I receive it and can test it, most important will be that it works 😀

I also should have a Voodoo 4 coming, but that's going really slow. The seller's Paypal wasn't the correct one. He send me another Paypal but I'm very reluctant to pay outside of Ebay (which I wont).

Reply 12 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just checked in my attic, it seems I have only one (untested) AGP 4x mobo in my pcb pile...based on the ali magic chipset. Based on the little information I could find on the net I reckon it's not very good. It has both DDR and SDRAm slots.
One interesting note, the fsb can be set as low as 66mhz. Could be interesting for superpi or something. Guess I'll be looking for a DDR agp x4 board next 😁

Reply 13 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

heh yah Voodoo5 works in AGP 4x universal slots. 😀 It's a AGP 2x 3.3v card. Just make sure the mobo isn't a 4x only board (some are).

I have a Tyan motherboard with an AGP Pro 4x slot. Will this run an AGP 8x card? I also have a Compaq W4000 workstation with a normal AGP 4x slot that I have been running 8x cards in with no problem (they just run at 4x instead of 8x) so shouldn't the AGP Pro slot also work with 8x cards? The slot looks like it's keyed for 1.5 volts.

Reply 15 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

look in my sig for a link

I did. It's not clear which slot the AGP Pro 1.5v is. Is it considered the same as the normal AGP 1.5 or is it one of the universal slots? All I know for sure is I run 8x cards at 4x in my 4x slot machine but that is not a Pro slot, so to say that 8x cards absolutely will not work in a 4x slot is wrong, which is the impression that I get from the page that you linked. I also run an 8x AGP card in the 4x AGP slot in my Powermac G4.

Reply 16 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

8x cards will work in a 4x slot. I have never seen it be otherwise. 8x cards can run 0.8v and 1.5v at the minimum. Some 8x cards will even work in a 2x slot (9700 Pro and GeForce FX for example).

Your 4x slot should accept any 4x or 8x card. If it is keyed to accept 3.3v AGP 2x cards, they will work too. Some 4x slots are 1.5v only and are keyed to prevent 2x cards from being inserted.

AGP Pro is just a longer slot with more power connections. It was supposed to provide power for more "power hungry" "pro" cards that almost don't exist. This was before every power hog card had a aux power connection. A regular AGP card simply will not connect to the extra part of AGP Pro but it doesn't matter.