Topic actions

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Scored a Voodoo 5 5500 for just £10.50 + £3 postage 😎

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Lets hope it works.... I'm guessing it will be a nice replacement for my 64mb ATI Rage Fury Maxx and 2 x 12mb Voodoo 2 SLI setup? Also will this beast run fine with a 650mhz PIII Coppermine, 384mb PC100 SDRAM and Intel SE440BX-2 mobo?

Reply 2 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's the best card for DX3-7 games, IMO. And of course you get Glide.

I think the CPU will be fine.

Reply 3 of 26, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll have to keep one V2. Not all glide games will run on a V3-V5.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 4 of 26, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ux-3 wrote:

You'll have to keep one V2. Not all glide games will run on a V3-V5.

Will there not be a driver conflict when using both a V5 and V2? Or will i need some kind of software switcher?

Reply 5 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Find out if you need the V2 for your games first. 😀 I think only some DOS Glide games will be trouble.

Reply 6 of 26, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Find out if you need the V2 for your games first. 😀 I think only some DOS Glide games will be trouble.

I don't suppose anyone's compiled a list of V5 compatible games? I'm aware Dos Glide games may be a bit problematic... but to what extent? Are there many Dos Glide games that work with the V5?

I hope these work with or without some tweaking:

Quake
Carmageddon + Carmageddon II
Outlaws
Hexen II
Heretic II
Unreal + UT Tournament
Deus EX
Incubation
MDK
Messiah
Motorhead
realMYST
Resident Evil
Final Fantasy VII
The Elder Scrolls: Redguard

There are many more but can't think of them at the moment 🤣 anyway once my V5 has arrived then the testing will begin!

Also, is there any real OpenGL support as i can't seem to find much info?

Reply 7 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PowerPie5000 wrote:

This is where the mix-and-match-a-ton-of-ICD-dlls-until-it-works step comes in. Good luck 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 26, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

This is where the mix-and-match-a-ton-of-ICD-dlls-until-it-works step comes in. Good luck 😀

Awww and there's the downside to owning a V5.... hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a problem as i don't really want to go back to using my Fury Maxx and V2 SLI combo 😒

Thanks for the links 😀

Reply 9 of 26, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can get wickedGL for good OGL support. Basicly wraps everything into glide.

WickedGL contains an OpenGL subset for Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Hexen 2, Sin, Half-Life, Heretic 2, Daikatana, Kingpin, Soldier of Fortune, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Rune, Starsiege, Tribes, Tribes 2, Serious Sam, 4x4 Evolution, Axis, BGII, Crime Cities, DeusEx, MDK2, KO, MindRover, Hitman, Heavy Metal FAKK2, StarTrek DS9, Parsec, Screamer 4x4, Snok, StarTrek Voyager, Team Fortress, TreadMarks.

http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/wickedgl/index.php

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 10 of 26, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
prophase_j wrote:
You can get wickedGL for good OGL support. Basicly wraps everything into glide. […]
Show full quote

You can get wickedGL for good OGL support. Basicly wraps everything into glide.

WickedGL contains an OpenGL subset for Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Hexen 2, Sin, Half-Life, Heretic 2, Daikatana, Kingpin, Soldier of Fortune, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Rune, Starsiege, Tribes, Tribes 2, Serious Sam, 4x4 Evolution, Axis, BGII, Crime Cities, DeusEx, MDK2, KO, MindRover, Hitman, Heavy Metal FAKK2, StarTrek DS9, Parsec, Screamer 4x4, Snok, StarTrek Voyager, Team Fortress, TreadMarks.

http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/wickedgl/index.php

Nice drivers! Will try them out when my board arrives. Thanks. 😀

Does this driver work alongside the existing V5 drivers or is it a complete standalone driver package?

Reply 11 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Nice drivers! Will try them out when my board arrives. Thanks. 😀

Does this driver work alongside the existing V5 drivers or is it a complete standalone driver package?

Is it not a driver; it's a miniGL port. Here are the drivers.

As for the drivers, I never tried Amigamerlin, though. I'm sticking with 1.0.4 Reference Drivers. I'm using the Voodoo for old games anyway.

By the way, nice avatar, Mr. Calavera. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 12 of 26, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another good program if some one need it http://www.zeus-software.com/
So HeXen II and Heretic II should work with 3dfx w/o problems.
If HeXen II not use http://uhexen2.sourceforge.net/
P.S. HeXen II have OpenGL32.dll that actually a wrapper from OpenGL to Glide.
I have idea to try it for other games =)
Thanx for WickedGL
Or additional 3dfx tools http://www.dreamlandbbs.com/filegate/gamesnet … util/index.html

Last edited by RaVeN-05 on 2010-08-01, 17:06. Edited 1 time in total.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 13 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RaVeN-05 wrote:

P.S. HeXen II have OpenGL32.dll that actually a wrapper from OpenGL to Glide.
I have idea to try it for other games =)

Drop this idea because the GLQuake 3dfx minigl sucks.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 26, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok i just received my V5 and a few of the surface mounted caps are leaning a bit!

This is the type of cap i'm talking about:

M061852W01.jpg

The plastic base is still flat against the board but one side of the cap is slightly lifted (leaving a small gap between the base and cap). It's leaning a bit... it can also be pushed back down into the base.

I'm a bit cautious about installing potentially faulty hardware into any of my rigs. I will try and get a photo if i can find my camera.

Any help/advice is appreciated, cheers

Reply 15 of 26, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Earlier i found as loose cap in the packaging and found where it's meant to be... i've contacted the ebay seller so hopefully i get a reply! If not then i will need to find someone who is good at re-soldering SMD caps 😒

What began as a bargain just ended up being useless junk 😢

Reply 16 of 26, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Earlier i found as loose cap in the packaging and found where it's meant to be... i've contacted the ebay seller so hopefully i get a reply! If not then i will need to find someone who is good at re-soldering SMD caps 😒

This post reminds me of what happened just a couple of days ago. I paid about £10 for a nice GF3. Idiot seller puts winning item in thin padded envelope. Item arrives. I open envelope. 3 pieces fall out: the card, part of the heatsink and one of those copper coil surface mounted things. Junk goes in bin.

Reply 17 of 26, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, I must have got lucky then.
My DB60XG clone came wrapped in a Chinese newspaper in a padded envelope.

Reply 18 of 26, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheLazy1 wrote:

Wow, I must have got lucky then.
My DB60XG clone came wrapped in a Chinese newspaper in a padded envelope.

I think quite a lot of people on Vogons have bought the DB60XG clone daughterboard from China. I expect it's the same seller. Mine came in a small box with bits of broken polystyrene pieces in it. The DB was not wrapped in anything. Luckily it worked.

Reply 19 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

This post reminds me of what happened just a couple of days ago. I paid about £10 for a nice GF3. Idiot seller puts winning item in thin padded envelope. Item arrives. I open envelope. 3 pieces fall out: the card, part of the heatsink and one of those copper coil surface mounted things. Junk goes in bin.

I just got a lot of 3 video cards in nothing more than a thin cardboard document envelope. No padding at all. No loose parts in the envelope, but still. 😒