VOGONS

First post, by Mr_486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey

I was wondering are any of the older operating systems worth anything nowadays. For example I have a sealed copy of MS DOS 5.0 - is this a collector's item at all?

Are any versions of Windows collectable? 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc?

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sure, I reckon you could get a few bucks for it - forty or fifty, tops. Old boxed versions of Windows could quite possibly be worth quite a bit more. Have you tried an eBay search already?

Reply 2 of 8, by Mr_486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I've had a look on eBay and there are some listed for 50/60 - I've seen some boxed Windows 3.1 on sale for £100 plus but it's hard to know whether they will actually sell or whether it's just people being overly speculative.

I'm thinking about starting to collect them in the hope they will increase in value but don't want to waste loads of money and them not be worth anything in a few more years!

Reply 3 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mr_486 wrote:

Yeah I've had a look on eBay and there are some listed for 50/60 - I've seen some boxed Windows 3.1 on sale for £100 plus but it's hard to know whether they will actually sell or whether it's just people being overly speculative.

I'm thinking about starting to collect them in the hope they will increase in value but don't want to waste loads of money and them not be worth anything in a few more years!

Those prices doesn't reflect the real value, it's just seller trying to to squeeze alot of dough thinking just "because it's old it's worth a zillion"

boxed, DOS versions like v 3.30...Windows 2.x and earlier might be worth something

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 8, by Mr_486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm I've not got anything that old unfortunately. I did see some Completed Sales on eBay of Win3.1 for £60 so it seems some people are willing to pay that kind of money for them. I guess I'll keep my eye out for older versions though and hope I get lucky 😀

Reply 5 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Paid 50sek, roughly $7 for my sealed copy of MS-DOS 5 on Tradera.com six months ago

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 6 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mr_486 wrote:

That's why you look at Completed Listings to see what actually sold.

Reply 7 of 8, by Mr_486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I did look it's just that it's not really a bustling market so there isn't much history to go off.

I guess what I'm asking, more generally, is what kinds of software (o/s, games etc) should I be looking out for if I want to collect things that will be of most value as time progresses.

Reply 8 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From practical standpoint, I think DOS 6.22 or DOS 7 should do fine. I think the concern is: are there old games that only work in earlier version of DOS? Note that I've never found one.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.