VOGONS

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

For my first thread here I have a question related to the good old ASUS dual-slot1 boards. I have a P2B-D board (intended, of course, to run things at 100MHz FSB) and a C-P2T PC133 slot1 terminator (most likely intended for the P3C-D mainboard). The question is - will the terminator do (I'll probably overclock the bus a little, to 112MHz) or in this case things are not as simple as PC133 SDRAM being backward compatible with an 100MHz bus?

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PC-133 is backward compatible with PC-100. You can actually use PC-133 cl3 memory and run it as PC-100 cl2 memory (though cas latency seems to make little, if any, difference in a slot `board).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 4, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

PC-133 is backward compatible with PC-100. You can actually use PC-133 cl3 memory and run it as PC-100 cl2 memory (though cas latency seems to make little, if any, difference in a slot `board).

I almost fell for the same thing earlier at work.

His question is about 2 terminator cards, one is for terminator card that is FSB 100MHz and another that is FSB 133MHz. OP wants to know if a 133 will work on the 100. Which I don't know about, sorry. My assumption would be yes it should work though.

Quick google search showed that someone got some speed gain from just removing the terminator but still doesn't answer your question.

Reply 3 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
I almost fell for the same thing earlier at work. […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

I almost fell for the same thing earlier at work.

His question is about 2 terminator cards, one is for terminator card that is FSB 100MHz and another that is FSB 133MHz. OP wants to know if a 133 will work on the 100. Which I don't know about, sorry. My assumption would be yes it should work though.

Quick google search showed that someone got some speed gain from just removing the terminator but still doesn't answer your question.

Gah, you're right!
Though I know hardly anything about these terminators, but afaik there isn't much to tell about them.

Reply 4 of 4, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The terminator should be backwards compatible... and it's not like the P2B-D is very picky to begin with, mine even works if you leave the second slot empty, no terminator necessary.