VOGONS

Dual Celeron, W2K or NT?

Topic actions

First post, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got an Abit BP6 with dual 433MHz Celerons, 384MB of ECC SDRAM, 2 Voodoo II 8MB cards, and an old Intel 82559 NIC.

Lookin at gettin a Maxtrox G400 for the AGP slot.

Not decided on a sound card, want to use the ISA slot, whats the best I can still find (ebay) for that purpose?

Down, the my main question, Windows 2000 or NT 4.0?

Reply 2 of 9, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok... W2K it is.

What about a sound card? The board has two ISA slots.

Reply 3 of 9, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could use a Sound Blaster Awe64 which is great!

Reply 4 of 9, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I presume it's W2K compatible? I haven't really found much info suggesting that it is. Also, probably gonna look for a gold edition, anything I need to look out for?

Reply 5 of 9, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah it should work fine under Win2000. Why an ISA card though? You could just get SoundBlaster Live and use soundfonts for midi music, but forget DOS, which you already should forget if you plan to use Win2K.

Reply 6 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BP6 is Win2k compatible, I set one up a few months ago. I gather some people find it more stable with NT4 but I didn't find any stability problems. I did have some issues during the install but as I recall these were solved by loading the correct IDE drivers.

Interesting about the ISA slots, that board got me wondering why use ISA sound if you're running an OS that's capable of using dual-cpus. I guess the board was aimed at either people shifting to NT that might have legacy hardware, or was simply trying to appeal to as many people as possible [NT - got dual cpu, 95/98/DOS - got ISA].

Reply 7 of 9, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd go with 2000, all the freakin way. It IS the greatest version of Windows ever made, after all. 😁

Reply 8 of 9, by yuhong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, 2 ISA slots were pretty standard on 440BX boards. In contrast, I think only one ISA slot were standard on the later KT133 boards (one of the last chipsets that used ISA instead of LPC).

Reply 9 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The later 440BX mobos have 6 PCI and 1 ISA but the 6th PCI is a slave slot with no IRQ due to 440BX's limits. Good for a Voodoo card but I'm not sure what else...

I would definitely go Win2K. NT4 is pretty limited when it comes to gaming. Something like a dual PPro would be better off with NT4 though. 2K runs like pretty slow on a PPro (even a 233MHz 1MB L2 dualie).