VOGONS

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm struggling to put together an old system for some DOS games that marked my beginnings in the PC world, and the most "material" I've gathered so far comes from the 486 era.

While I have a perfectly good, never used before, ALi 1487/1489 mainboard (4PCI, 4ISA, FDD/IDE/COM/LPT) - no-name and somehow negligently built, but nevertheless fully functional - I'm also testing a few ISA/VLB boards.

In order to be able to use a HDD and a mouse I got an ISA I/O controller based on the Goldstar Prime 2c chip, but I cannot seem to get it working - mouse doesn't work (although mouse support is enabled in BIOS), and also no hard-drive is detected (I'm trying to use a Quantum Fireball 1.28GB). Is there something else I need to do, or should I consider the possibility that the I/O card is broken (I have absolutely no experience with such controllers)?

Speaking of drive capacity, predefined values in BIOS go up to 160MB, but there's also an "Enable LBA" option - does this mean I'll be able to use HDDs larger than ~500MB?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 14, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Since you have all interfaces on board already why do you want to use an extra I/O controller? If you want to test the controller you need to disable all these devices in the boards BIOS.

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 14, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The I/O controller is for the the few ISA/VLB boards I'm testing, which have nothing on-board...

Reply 4 of 14, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Make sure the jumpers are set correctly on that controller. You are familiar with the correct orientation of the IDE cable?

LBA does sound good for additional capacity.

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These controller cards were never meant for motherboards that already included the necessary controller options.
I agree with maulwurf, disable all relevant controllers on the motherboard first.

Reply 6 of 14, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Again, there is no such thing (IDE/FDD/COM/LPT) on the mainboard I'm currently testing the I/O card on.

The jumpers on the card enable first COM port as "COM1" and the IDE controller as "primary", and yes, I know about the proper orientation of the IDE connector (pin 1 (marked as such in the card/s PCB) = the red wire in the cable).

I'll try finding a spare floppy drive today...

Reply 8 of 14, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The board has no IDE/FDD/COM/LPT connectors - does this mean it can still have on-board controllers for these?

Reply 9 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh I thought it did:

ALi 1487/1489 mainboard (4PCI, 4ISA, FDD/IDE/COM/LPT)

If there are no connectors, then don't worry about it.

Reply 10 of 14, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I should start using shorter sentences, or stick strictly to the subject...

"While I have a perfectly good [...] ALi 1487/1489 mainboard (4PCI, 4ISA, FDD/IDE/COM/LPT) [...] I'm also testing a few ISA/VLB boards."

Forget about the 1487/1489 board, I'm talking about other, older, ISA/VLB boards here. They have none of those connectors built-in, so I'm trying to use the ISA I/O card to at least have FDD, HDD and a COM port for the mouse...

Reply 11 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okido!

These controller cards also often have jumpers. They are quite easy, all of them to one side is on, all of them the other side is off.

Testing the Floppy is simply a recommendation because it either works or it doesn't whereas with HDDs a lot of other things can be responsible...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 14, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Roger that 😀. What about the COM port for the mouse? I currently have two ways of testing it:

1. use a DB9-to-PS2 adapter and watch if my optical PS2 mouse "lights", which doesn't happen
2. try to use an old serial mouse to navigate the "graphic mode" AMI BIOS, which again does not work

I tried to jumper the first COM port on the I/O card either as COM1 or as COM3, to no result - will try the second one (COM2 / COM4) tonight... I guess worst coincidence would be that both COM1/3 on the card and my serial mouse are broken 😀.

Reply 14 of 14, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, that was weird... tried it again this evening:
- disabled everything on the I/O card except FDD: FDD works
- enabled first COM port: mouse starts working too
- enabled IDE (with LBA on in BIOS): the Fireball 1.28 is detected at full capacity

The "system" even boots either of MS-DOS 6.22 and Win98SE installed on the hard-drive while in a K6-2/500 system, though incredibly slow and weird (cachechk seems to get stuck at start-up, for example) - but that will probably be the subject of a future thread, if I can't get to the bottom of it 😀.