VOGONS

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to break an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe board 🙁 - after spending 4-5 hours to clean that system (wipe the dust, install OS updates, defragment the HDD, etc), I thought of replacing some of the jumpers so that they'd all be the same colour.

At some point, with the system turned off (but PSU plugged-in), I took out the KEYB-PWR jumper, and the CPU fan immediately started spinning. I then unplugged the PSU and went on with the rest of the jumpers.

When finished I booted the system and noticed that the mouse and keyboard weren't working anymore. Then made the mistake to clear the CMOS, and now it gets stuck at "CMOS defaults loaded", "keyboard is locked - remove key lock" and "floppy disk failure" types of messages.

I purchased an USB-to-PS/2-keyboard+mouse adaptor, but that doesn't work either - I figured clearing the CMOS would leave the USB keyboard support enabled in BIOS, but apparently that didn't seem logical to those who "designed" the clear-CMOS operation on this board ("The USB keyboard is disabled by default", says the manual) 😠 .

Is there anything I can do to fix this, that doesn't involve an identical board or BIOS chip, or reprogramming the BIOS chip somewhere else?

Reply 1 of 12, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow... that does suck
I always switch off the power on the PSU while working on the system, while it is still plugged in that way it is grounded/earthed 😀
if the power isn't switched off, there is always a little bit of power going to the motherboard... that's how the power on jumper stuff works 😉

Reply 2 of 12, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The USB keyboard should work in the POST and BIOS settings. The USB setting inside the BIOS is for make it work AFTER the POST.
Usually those adapters doesn't work, at least for me... you should try a real USB keyboard.

Maybe the fuse near de ps/2 connectors blew up ?

Reply 3 of 12, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a cheapo PS/2 > USB adapter here... worked just fine on my dell desktops... I "adapted the adapted" (plug crappy mitsumi AT keyboard connector to PS/2 converter, then converter to USB adapter) and it worked fine... mine has a separate pigtail for a mouse too

my adapter behaves like a real USB keyboard

but... I agree, try a real USB keyboard also... not all USB adapters are the same 😀

Reply 4 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try a PS/2 keyboard with USB adapter in a USB port. I once had the same problem (how it happened I know, but WHY is a real mystery?) and a normal USB keyboard would work at the prompt, but not in the BIOS, something like that. And because I couldn't use it in BIOS, I couldn't set the USB legacy. Sorta a catch-22 situation.

After a while I wanted to try the PS/2 keyboard on USB port thing, but THATS when I fried it...RIP A7V333 🙁

Edit:And no, it fried because I had the clear-cmos jumper on it and plugged the power cord in)

Reply 5 of 12, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that's what he did
he plugged his PS/2 keyboard into a USB adapter and tried to boot up with it... it doesn't work

Reply 6 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMAN wrote:

that's what he did
he plugged his PS/2 keyboard into a USB adapter and tried to boot up with it... it doesn't work

He mentioned USB 2 PS/2, I mentioned PS/2 2 USB, it's the other way around 😉
Though a "USB-2-PS/2-keyboard" doesn't make a lot of sense, technically

Reply 7 of 12, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is what I meant - I tried to use my PS/2 keyboard in an USB port, using that type of adapter that also has a green pigtail for connecting a PS/2 mouse. I'll borrow a "native" USB keyboard from work today, to see if it helps.

I also thought there would be a fuse somewhere in the PS/2 connector's area, but I cannot identify it on this board (on any board I have, in fact).

Reply 8 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cheers for clearing things up 😉

I've had the "exact" same problem once:USB keyboard works, but is disabled in the BIOS by default (rather stupid ehh).

Thinking about it, the only way out of this that I can come up with is to download an appropriate BIOS file for the board, mod it to enable USB legacy support (or whatever the exact name is) and flash it to the BIOS chip on another board using the hotswap method.

OR put this modded BIOS file on a bootable flash diskette, insert it and hope you can still flash it's BIOS using the USB keyboard.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 12, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A USB keyboard should work in POST (so you can enter the BIOS), and in the BIOS setup. The "USB keyboard enable/disable" option in BIOS is for AFTER the POST, to be able to use the keyboard prior to the loading of a OS, or in DOS, for example.
At least that's the case with 99% of the mobos I used. If it didn't worked was because of bad BIOS programming (it didn't occurred to them, so didn't implement it). I don't think this is the case here since it's a very "new" ASUS board, USB kb should work in POST screen.
What I'm trying to say is, if that adapter didn't work, it should be the fault of the adapter.
If the USB kb doesn't work, then I don't know.
Maybe the USB ports fried too ?

EDIT: i've looked at a photo of your mobo. The fuse is the green thingy that's just at the back of the PS/2 connectors. It's called a resettable fuse I think. I'm probably wrong here, but my understanding is that they never broke ? or something like that.

Last edited by unmei220 on 2011-03-04, 14:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

On some boards only certain USB ports work for the keyboard. Try the two at the top right underneath the PS/2 ports.

This is a good tip! I'll remember this one, cheers!

Reply 12 of 12, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, no luck with the USB keyboard either (tried all four external USB ports)... I'll do some search about the fuse (and maybe measure it to see if it's interrupted) - there are three green thingies in that area though, are so many fuses necessary there? 😀

I'm not sure the USB ports are fried too - when I plug the keyboard (either the USB one or the PS/2 onewith the adapter), its LEDs do blink once...