VOGONS

First post, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm assuming the answer to this is an absolute no, but considering what the good folks here at Vogons have dug up before, I thought I'd ask anyway.

So let's say that under Windows 95 or 98 I want to have multiple video cards, like a TNT 2 and then a Rendition Verte based card along side it, and perhaps a voodoo or other 2D reliant card in the same system.

Would this be possible or does the video driver model in these old os'es prevent this from happening? If so, why not?

Reply 1 of 2, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't know about 95, but I know that 98, 98SE and ME can all do multiple monitors.

There are some funny restrictions though.

Back in the day, I had a 166MMX system with a Tseng Labs ET6000, and an Ark 32PV, but it would only work if the Ark card was the first adaptor to be picked up by BIOS. If I swapped the positions of the cards, only the ET6000 would work, and the second card would have a yellow ! in Control Panel.

The Voodoo card which was also in the system had no effect on the setup.

Reply 2 of 2, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty sure 98 was the first version to support multiple monitors. However multiple monitors sometimes implemented other ways like the Matrox G400 Dual Head card on NT4 supports multiple monitors through the driver some how.