VOGONS

First post, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, my first post here, so hello everyone 😉
I already asked the question at FalconFly forums, but I'm interested in your opinions.
Is there any sense to use TNT2 Ultra together with Voodoo 2 SLI? Are there any games which will perform faster/with better quality with mentioned Voodoo cards? I don't mean Glide-only games, this case is obvious 😉 Let me know your opionions.

Reply 1 of 7, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maf wrote:

Hi guys, my first post here, so hello everyone 😉
I already asked the question at FalconFly forums, but I'm interested in your opinions.
Is there any sense to use TNT2 Ultra together with Voodoo 2 SLI? Are there any games which will perform faster/with better quality with mentioned Voodoo cards? I don't mean Glide-only games, this case is obvious 😉 Let me know your opionions.

TNT2/Voodoo2 combos were still a somewhat common occurrence back in its day. My first answer would be games based on the original Unreal engine, but as for Unreal and UT99, their Direct3D and OpenGL renderers have matured to the point where the game should run optimally on non-3Dfx cards.

Reply 2 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

however I'd argue that there's little point in using any NV card slower than a GF3 because there is just no real benefit to their older cards. A GF3 can run UTGLR which is superior to Glide and yet the compatibility with older games is still excellent.

V2SLI might also be replaced with a V3-5 for all but some DOS games too. There are benefits to just a V3 from image quality to more flexible resolutions and the awesome GUI and DOS hardware.

But the real reason for using any of this stuff isn't practicality but is nostalgia so there's no point in arguing what's best 🤣

Reply 3 of 7, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well not glide only games, but a few of the older games that user earlier DX versions might not look or perform as good as the GLide version. I'm hard pressed to think of one at the moment but could be a concern.

I'd say run both for ultimate config. I use a SLI set with a Geforce 4 4600 even though I could probably use a GLide wrapper with the G4 alone.

@Swaaye.
Wouldn't the TNT2U have better VESA compatibility? I mean no need for the VESA patching for older dos games, blood and duke come to mind as a few. I know I have to get that NOFBLIM or whatever for my G4 card to work a bit better.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 4 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Better VESA than V3? It's hard to say. The only trouble free cards are S3 Trio or Virge but then those lack VESA 2.0 so again TSR is needed sometimes.

V3-5 and NV cards are pretty good though. Better than most other options.

As for differences between NV cards that is not something I've seen examined. I have found the ones I've used to work well though.

Terra Nova is one game that is trouble for many except S3. Both NV and 3dfx need a TSR.

Reply 5 of 7, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
Better VESA than V3? It's hard to say. The only trouble free cards are S3 Trio or Virge but then those lack VESA 2.0 so again TS […]
Show full quote

Better VESA than V3? It's hard to say. The only trouble free cards are S3 Trio or Virge but then those lack VESA 2.0 so again TSR is needed sometimes.

V3-5 and NV cards are pretty good though. Better than most other options.

As for differences between NV cards that is not something I've seen examined. I have found the ones I've used to work well though.

Terra Nova is one game that is trouble for many except S3. Both NV and 3dfx need a TSR.

I mean the TNT2U would be better than a GF3 for VESA compliance? My TNT2 and V5 do a good enough job without patches.

Didn't mean vs the Voodoo cards, only the GF3. Not even like we know what games the OP wants to play so this could be irrelevant anyways 😀

Reply 6 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using a TNT2 Ultra with Voodoo2 SLI in my Pentium III Dos-Win3/WinME combo machine. I'm using the TNT2U since it has native Windows 3.11 driver with higher res/colour support. Voodoo2 SLI for games that have native Glide support, plus for Dos voodoo gaming.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 7, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its Win 3.1 driver implementation isn't all that perfect however, at least when compared to S3's drivers. For example, you might notice some text input issues into fields, and for the most part the refresh rates at all resolutions are locked at 60 Hz (unless there's some other way around it - doesn't really matter if you use an LCD monitor with it though).