VOGONS

486 PCI chipsets comparison

Topic actions

First post, by udam_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going to make 486 PCI chipsets comparison. Test will include Via Pluto, UMC8881, Ali FinAli, and Sis 85C486. I will focus on PCI performance, compatibility with various video cards, cache and memory controler speed. To make this test comprehensive I have chosen following parts to cooperate with motherboards:

CPU:
Am5x86 133MHz
Am5x86 @160MHz
Cyrix 5x86 100MHz

Video cards:
Tseng ET6000 4MB
S3 Virge DX 4MB
S3 Virge GX 4MB
Matrox Mystique 220 4MB

Ram
2*16MB 60ns EDO ram for chipsets that suppor EDO ram
2*16MB 60ns FPM ram for chipsets that do not support EDO ram

I will repeat all tests with motherboards settings set to default and also with settings tuned by me.

Any suggestions? (;

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Reply 1 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3dbench 1.0c should be handy for this! It's very sensitive to anything video bandwidth related...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
udam_u wrote:

Any suggestions? (;

Pentium Overdrive 83Mhz perhaps? After all, it is Intel's best Socket 3 processor 😉

Also for boards that support EDO, it would perhaps be a nice idea to test with EDO and FPM, as not all revisions of any particular chipset supports EDO (some of us have boards with chipsets that are an earlier revision that doesn't support EDO, alas).

And cheers for starting this initiative 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:

what's the highest fsb supported by these boards?

That depends on the boards really.

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 39, by udam_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys! (:

@Mau1wurf1977

3dbench 1.0c should be handy for this! It's very sensitive to anything video bandwidth related...

Yes, this tool is really phenomenal! I'm using it as a rating during bios tuning. (:

@Tetrium

Pentium Overdrive 83Mhz perhaps? After all, it is Intel's best Socket 3 processor Wink

Also for boards that support EDO, it would perhaps be a nice idea to test with EDO and FPM, as not all revisions of any particular chipset supports EDO (some of us have boards with chipsets that are an earlier revision that doesn't support EDO, alas).

And cheers for starting this initiative Wink

Unfortunately I don't have Pentium Overdrive. This CPU is very rare in Poland. If I had one I would gladly add it to test. Maybe in the future, who knows. (;

I really like your second idea! I will test two motherboards based on UMC chipset (maybe even the same model) - one with old chipset revision and second with newer one. It will be very interesting comparison.

@noshutdown

what's the highest fsb supported by these boards?

It is true what Tetrium wrote. The highest fsb (66MHz) is available on motherboards based on UMC chipset. However not all boards based on UMC work with such high FSB - for example the highest working on Shuttle HOT-433 is 60MHz when ga-486am/s is able to handle 66MHz.

After brainstorming I decided to use following programs in comparison:

Quake1 shareware 1.06
Pcpbench
3dbench2
MDK test
Vspeed
Sysinfo
Dhry1od
Whet1od
cachechk

Reply 7 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Hehe, your pet rodent must be super fit by now! 😉 😀

Yup, it's downloaded! 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 39, by udam_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@rg100

udam_u, I'm really looking forward to these tests. Good luck!

Thank you! (: After a few hours of testing I'm close to finish testing first motherboard! ^^

Hehe, your pet rodent must be super fit by now!

Currently he is as strong as small dog he he he. 😁 Neighbor cat is scared! Fortunately I do not have to feed him directly - I have special tool for such purposes. [;

6b83b44dafc31d956f9d43be090af587.jpg

Reply 10 of 39, by udam_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@noshutdown

add a quake2 crusher too, man!

Sorry, I'm not going to add Q2 to my test suite because it contains too complicated geometry. Additionally in this turn I use only MSDOS tests - I will retest all motherboards under windows in second turn.
Regards! (:

Reply 12 of 39, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm guessing UMC and ALi come out first and second with only a narrow margin between them followed by SiS then VIA. It's probably for the best that an Opti chipset isn't included because it would most likely be dead last by an embarrassing margin.

Reply 13 of 39, by udam_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@feipoa
Thanks! This is good idea. (:

@sliderider
Yeah Via Pluto is terribly slow but I haven't tested SIS, ALI and UMC chpiset yet so I'm no sure final classification. If I had motherboard based on Opti chipset I would gladly add it to the test. BTW does anyone on vogons have motherboard based on Opti PCI chipset???

Reply 14 of 39, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tested various 486 boards and the UMC seems to be the fastest..... I've tried SIS and VIA, and I have an Opti 82C895 board but its VLB, not PCI. I don't think i'll get a chance this weekend to test it either 🙁

I had a 'Symphony' chipset board which I gave to another fellow retro enthusiast, anyone know how these fare?

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 15 of 39, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
Pentium Overdrive 83Mhz perhaps? After all, it is Intel's best Socket 3 processor ;) […]
Show full quote
udam_u wrote:

Any suggestions? (;

Pentium Overdrive 83Mhz perhaps? After all, it is Intel's best Socket 3 processor 😉

And cheers for starting this initiative 😉

In FPU related tests then the POD will most likely outshine everything else and in any test requiring or optimized for Pentium instructions but because it is multiplier locked, you realistically can't run it at over 100mhz (40mhz bus x 2.5 multiplier) and that may even be more than some of them can stand after all this time. A 50mhz bus speed would put it at 125mhz which is likely too far out of spec to boot if it doesn't just burn up the chip on powerup. The POD also isn't the equivalent of a Pentium running in a Pentium socket. It is bound by the limitations of the 486 motherboard architecture, so it will never run at the same speed as a similarly clocked chip on a socket 5/7 motherboard. Integer performance may be better with an AMD or Cyrix chip overclocked to the max, and they can take a bus speed higher than 40mhz, so which runs faster really comes down to what you intend to do with it.

Reply 16 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In theory, you could run a POD on a 66Mhz fsb with a 1x multi (fan detached+other cpu fan on a molex) for 66Mhz, though that wouldn't be very practical 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 39, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

In theory, you could run a POD on a 66Mhz fsb with a 1x multi (fan detached+other cpu fan on a molex) for 66Mhz, though that wouldn't be very practical 😜

That would be interesting to test, if the POD running at 66/66 is faster or slower overall than a POD running at 33/83. In theory at least it should be faster than the POD running 25/63 settings. Does the POD work fast enough to utilize double the FSB bandwith is what needs to be asked. If it doesn't 33/83 may still be faster.

Reply 18 of 39, by udam_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@DonutKing
I wonder how good is your motherboard compared to other VLB motherboards based on UMC, SIS, VIA, (...). This would be also very interesting comparison... (;
Symphony chipset seems to be even more rare than Opti. Do you remember the name of motherboard you had?

Regards! (:

Reply 19 of 39, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I've got no idea. From memory it was ISA only and had a Dallas RTC. The symphony chips had a treble clef printed on them.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.