wd 80gb harddisk
creative awe32 ct3990

no.2:
aopen ax3s max
pentium3-s 1.4g
winbond bh7 512m sdram
hitachi 80gb harddisk
diamond s90

and for video cards... i have a bunch of old 3d cards, from rendition1000 to ti4600 and radeon8500, unfortunately i am a 3dfx hater.
its quite hard for me to assemble a 486 rig from scratch now, and i have given it up, good pci 486 boards are really hard to find.

Reply 1 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not about having as many retro rigs as can possibly fit inside your house, it's about enjoying what you do 😉
The 2 rigs you have look pretty well balanced for the later 9x games 😉

GA-5AX 4.1 is a good motherboard, I got one as well. Very stable 😀
Btw, what graphics cards are you using in your rigs?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 11, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Btw, what graphics cards are you using in your rigs?

Since hes a 3dfx hater, he must be from the evil side (nvidia) 😏 😁

Reply 3 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:

i am a 3dfx hater.

Get out!

Seriously, though, that's very unfortunate for you because a Voodoo 3 is probably the best video card for a retro rig with a high level of compatibility with all DX and OpenGL games made up to that point and with Glide games both before and since. You'd be well covered with a Voodoo 3 as your main or only video card in a retro rig.

Reply 4 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
noshutdown wrote:

i am a 3dfx hater.

Get out!

Seriously, though, that's very unfortunate for you because a Voodoo 3 is probably the best video card for a retro rig with a high level of compatibility with all DX and OpenGL games made up to that point and with Glide games both before and since. You'd be well covered with a Voodoo 3 as your main or only video card in a retro rig.

Indeed. Voodoo 3's are a great retro card for a bunch of reasons:
-They are well supported by games of that time (partly because of Glide, which only works with 3DFX cards).
-They generally have good drivers.
-Because they aren't actually using most of the AGP features, it also means they will work in AGP slots which are badly implemented (think Super 7 AGP boards).
-They have relatively good image quality.
-They are quite fast compared to other cards of their time.
-They work in virtually any Windows OS you throw at it.
-Voodoo 3 AGP's are still relatively easy to find these days.

Otoh Voodoo 3's have only a couple drawbacks:
-No 32bit support
-No textures larger then 256x256 (which is not much of an issue usually)
-Maybe some more that I can't remember atm.

Voodoo 3's are relatively fuzz-free, quite fast, passively cooled and very compatible.
Not many retro graphics cards are as versatile and easy to use as the V3's 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 11, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah i can get some v3-2000s for $3-5USD each with ease, but i just don't.
since i am a 3dfx hater, i never looked into glide games. after all, ID games are not glide exclusive.
i also hate creative soundcards, with the 33cm awe32 being the only exception due to its length.

Reply 6 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd stick with system No. 1. I don't understand the 3dfx hate, but you could use these at once:
- Nvidia TNT2 32MB for the standard OpenGL stuff (those id games work best with these). you'll be bottlenecked by CPU anyway, so anything better won't be much, plus you still have some of the VESA compatibility here
- 3dfx Voodoo2 12MB for running the Glide exclusive games (typically early UnrealEngine games, Tribes, and crappy platformers that try hard to be Mario64)
- Matrox M3D for running the PowerVR SGL exclusive games (Ultimate Race, Moon Racer, Winter Race 3D, the best looking Mechwarrior2, the best looking Tomb Raider, special editions of Virtual On, Resident Evil, etc)

Reply 7 of 11, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
noshutdown wrote:

since i am a 3dfx hater, i never looked into glide games. after all, ID games are not glide exclusive.
i also hate creative soundcards, with the 33cm awe32 being the only exception due to its length.

Mah daddy was a 3dfx hater, an his daddy was a 3dfx hater...

😜

Seriously though, despite whatever irrational emotional hatred you harbour, Voodoos are pretty much defacto standard for a retro rig that predates GeForce 256 DDR.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8 of 11, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My very first 3D card had a 3DFX chipset and it was passed to me from my dad. I remember in the late 90s thinking 3DFX was as good as it got then suddenly, they just became irrelevant seemingly overnight. The retro rig I use most often now has a Geforce 256 DDR.

Reply 9 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My guess would be that he "hates" them because he never fell in love with one of the games that glide kicks ass with. He basically said as much. Heck if he's all about id's GL games then a NV card can be better than a 3dfx card.

Hate is kinda strong though. Like Yoda said.....

Reply 11 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GXL750 wrote:

Ah, the Voodoo Rush chipset paired with Alliance AT25 ran Half Life quite nice. But we all differ in our preferences.

This is why I just bought a Rush in spite of having a V3, V5, and SLi V2's. I needed a Voodoo for a slower rig where the other Voodoos would be overkill. Truthfully, the Rush is probably overkill too, but I didn't want to waste a slot using a VGA card AND a Voodoo Graphics or Voodoo2.