VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now all I need to complete my collection of crippled Voodoo cards is a Velocity 100 and a Velocity 200. 😁

Reply 2 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Those are basically 8MB Voodoo 3 AGP cards with a registry tweak to disable 1 of those 2 texture thingies, right?

I think they are binned V3 chips. I can't see them putting fully functional V3's only disabled in software onto OEM and entry level cards. They'd save those for the real V3's and sell them for more money.

Reply 3 of 8, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't see them putting fully functional V3's only disabled in software onto OEM and entry level cards.

Well that's exactly what they did. The procedure was as simple as finding a NUM_TMU key in the registry (I forget the exact name and location) and changing the value of it from 1 to 2.

I imagine the chips were binned to a certain extent, maybe the second TMU wasn't always completely stable, but nevertheless, it usually functioned when re-enabled... or at least it worked for the twelve people who bought Velocity cards. 🤣

Oh, and as for a complete collection of crippled Voodoos, do you have one of the Compaq V3 1000s?

Reply 4 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't know that. Now i'm almost convinced to try V3ing my VB

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anandtech published an article on unlocking those Velocity 100 cards.

still up
http://www.anandtech.com/show/401/3

Reply 6 of 8, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I didn't know that. Now i'm almost convinced to try V3ing my VB

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if the Banshee actually has a software-disabled 2nd TMU or if it's physically removed altogether. But it is tempting to try.

Oh, and as for a complete collection of crippled Voodoos, do you have one of the Compaq V3 1000s?

V3 1000s eh? weren't those just simply 125 MHz V3's?

Reply 7 of 8, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I imagine the chips were binned to a certain extent, maybe the second TMU wasn't always completely stable, but nevertheless, it usually functioned when re-enabled... or at least it worked for the twelve people who bought Velocity cards. 🤣

Yeeey - I was one of the twelve! 😜 The card was great in fact - passively cooled, small factor, everything that worked on a V3 worked also on velocity 100 perfectly well...
...and that for half the price of a full blood V3!

The only game that didnt work at the time was Colin Mcrae Rally - it detected 7.5mb of ram and needed 8 to run (what a fail). Thats why I never played that "stupid" game, not even now.

Reply 8 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:
Yeeey - I was one of the twelve! :P The card was great in fact - passively cooled, small factor, everything that worked on a V3 […]
Show full quote
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Yeeey - I was one of the twelve! 😜 The card was great in fact - passively cooled, small factor, everything that worked on a V3 worked also on velocity 100 perfectly well...
...and that for half the price of a full blood V3!

The only game that didnt work at the time was Colin Mcrae Rally - it detected 7.5mb of ram and needed 8 to run (what a fail). Thats why I never played that "stupid" game, not even now.

Does it actually NEED 8mb, or can you bypass the memory check some way?