VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey guys, I'm facing a really strange problem using Windows ME.
I'm using the following machine :

Pentium III at 1GHz
ASUS CUSL2
512mb RAM
3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP
Sound Blaster Live! Value (primary sound card, Vortex connected for MIDI)
Aureal Vortex 2 + DB60XG
LevelONE LAN Card

The machine works nicely, boots extremely fast (about 30 seconds tops) and is very convenient, however after a little while performance starts to degrade. It seems to happen at random, either I use the PC or not. Applications and games start to produce choppyness like skipping frames after a certain point, while others simply stop working properly (I can still exit them). Most peculiarly, MIDI music slows down as well and the mouse lags! I tried to run Doom which is a DOS program and run into a certain error box, saying that I didn't have enough memory! I can't reproduce it right now, but after a google search it seems that Windows ME has certain service which checks and reports for problems and that seems to be the problem. I should note that after a restart everything is back to normal and that I have removed stuff like System Restore using System Remover PRO.
Also, I'm running 3DHQ Beta 10 drivers for the Voodoo 5, latest drivers for Live! and 2048 for Vortex 2.

Any solutions?

Reply 1 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try killing any remnant of the Msagent/Scheduler? That was a perf problem in the Win98 days as well

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 15, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope, how do I do that?
OK, I think I managed to fix the problem, got rid of Task Scheduler from msconfig and also got rid of devldr16.exe by uninstalling most of the Creative stuff. I only kept AudioHQ for the Soundfont application, does anyone know where I can find a standalone version of that or AudioHQ or even a better program for managing Soundfonts on SBLive!?
Thanks for your answers leilei! (btw you still haven't told me which FPS that was on your Youtube channel, with the whole EGA thing 🤣 )

Reply 3 of 15, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like a memory leak or maybe a system restore being busy?

Some apps are here, there seems to be a link for AudioHQ atleast.
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/115903-compil … for-windows-9x/

I wish my windows 98SE boot was so quick, usually takes around a minute and a half from the time the power button is hit. I think it is my Intel Pro 100 nic card causing it. Barely any apps in startup. Nothing in Autoexec.bat/Config.sys.

Reply 4 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Did you try killing any remnant of the Msagent/Scheduler? That was a perf problem in the Win98 days as well

I always disable PC Health even before I start installing drivers. Now I remember why I also disabled the scheduler.

ME ootb needed some tweaks and disabling pc health and scheduler are top in that list of tweaks 😉
But I'm glad to see it otherwise runs fine (nor now anyway 😜).

I'm having some fun myself with ME again lately, having 2 "new" rigs carrying that OS. Funny thing is that it still feels like home even though my main rigs all moved to XP and 7 now 😀

RogueTrip2012 wrote:

I wish my windows 98SE boot was so quick, usually takes around a minute and a half from the time the power button is hit. I think it is my Intel Pro 100 nic card causing it. Barely any apps in startup. Nothing in Autoexec.bat/Config.sys.

Apart from installing a faster harddrive, wasn't there a common problem with slow startups and 9x searching for network folders/network printers and stuff?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 15, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey RogueTrip thanks for your answer, these will come in handy 😀.
Yes your problem is the LAN card, I remember that I had a fully working Win98SE setup once and then I decided to install a LAN card. After installing the drivers, it would just sit there and search for something, wasting its time. I think I only got it to work by trying different drivers, but there's probably another solution as well.

Reply 6 of 15, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Hey RogueTrip thanks for your answer, these will come in handy 😀.
Yes your problem is the LAN card, I remember that I had a fully working Win98SE setup once and then I decided to install a LAN card. After installing the drivers, it would just sit there and search for something, wasting its time. I think I only got it to work by trying different drivers, but there's probably another solution as well.

try putting an IP address in the nic's config page i.e 192.168.1.1 and that should decrease the boot time.

Reply 7 of 15, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes that seems correct, I've got mine connected to my main PC. I had to make my PC the default gateway by assigning 192.168.2.1 to it and then give 192.168.2.2 to my Retro PC, otherwise it wouldn't work properly.

Reply 8 of 15, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks guys, It's already set to a static IP though. Some of the time is wasted on that stupid Intel Boot Agent that I tried to disable but couldn't.

I looked at the boot analyzer and found a few small issues as well but would have to look it up again.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 10 of 15, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

I should note that after a restart everything is back to normal and that [b]I have removed stuff like System Restore using System Remover PRO.[/b]

Ahem 😜
Also, I'm pretty sure the problem is solved, the Task Scheduler must have been the problem. Either that or Creative bullcrap. [/u]

Reply 11 of 15, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey guys, I've got another problem that I totally forgo to mention. It's very minor, but I kinda like the ME splash/boot screen. When the computer boots though, it only shows up for about a second and then it shows the AWARD BIOS hardware list again and a blinking curson on the bottom until Windows boots.
I'm not sure how to deal with this, I've tried a lot of things and it does the same thing even if I replace the default boot screen. I've heard about a Tweak UI option, but apparently it was removed after a certain version and I've got the latest one.

Reply 12 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Hey guys, I've got another problem that I totally forgo to mention. It's very minor, but I kinda like the ME splash/boot screen. When the computer boots though, it only shows up for about a second and then it shows the AWARD BIOS hardware list again and a blinking curson on the bottom until Windows boots.
I'm not sure how to deal with this, I've tried a lot of things and it does the same thing even if I replace the default boot screen. I've heard about a Tweak UI option, but apparently it was removed after a certain version and I've got the latest one.

I like that splash screen also, but maybe ME just boots too fast? 😜

Anyway, I never heard of an option to display the splash screen longer...doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.
...could use it as your desktop wallpaper?

Edit:Apparently this option does exist for XP and newer, though imo XP displays it's splash screen long enough 😜

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/micro … isplaytime.aspx

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 15, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

F2bnp,

I have the same issue. I thought it was a peculiarity with the abit st6/p3-1.4 ghz cpu computer that I have ME on.
I have yet to find a solution. Hopefully someone has solved it.

Reply 14 of 15, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, it's really weird, I had to format and it still does the same thing! Safe Mode however displays it properly!

Reply 15 of 15, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you are right format does not help.

sometimes the boot screen flashes for a quarter of a second before it is replaced by the bios boot screen. I might try removing ram out of the pc and leave a 64mb stick in just to see if that is causing the issue (grasping at straws!)