VOGONS

First post, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was thinking about pulling out my NIC card and installing a mini USB 802.11n adapter.

Will it kill resources or have high cpu usage?

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 3 of 20, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my "painful" experiences with nic cards and win9x, i would say the simplest solution is to check the natively supported cards from your windows cd. Aquire one of those, ebay is your friend. You can try the USB dongle, but i predict you a hard time. I would be curious to see if you succeed though.

Reply 4 of 20, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

painful experience with nics and 9x really?, the only problem I have ever had was with an NE2000 ISA NIC which didn't work untill I changed the IRQs in windows to be the same as the default ones for that card in NT4.
Although I haven't had much experience with 9x in general lately but I had no problems with 3com etherlink, realtek 8029as, rtl8139, intel pro100 on 9x
its only things like isa ibm etherjet and isa ne2000 where things get hard.

but I definitely reckon your better off using a real NIC opposed to a USB one.

Reply 5 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never got good speeds from NIC's in 9x... even my 1.4ghz tualatin with a pci 10/100 nic (rtl I think) only scores 600-800kb/sec when copying from/to my LAN... I can imagine a usb solution would be a PITA to use in anything except simple browsing

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 20, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, the adapter is only like $10, I think it is worth trying, it uses a realtek chip and stated to work with win9x. I just think the cpu will be doing alot of the work but don't know how much.

@ keropi that is slow! Using either my dlink (real a realtek) or intel pro 100 I download off the internet around 1.2MBs on win9x. I haven't even tested transfers of my local computer.

Reply 8 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wish wi-fi would GO AWAY. I refuse to use it. All my computers are hard-wired. Nothing says security hole like broadcasting your network to your neighbors...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9 of 20, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

I wish wi-fi would GO AWAY. I refuse to use it. All my computers are hard-wired. Nothing says security hole like broadcasting your network to your neighbors...

Wi-Fi is a lot more secure than you think (WPA2, MAC filtering etc) and it's invaluable for mobile devices as well as machines that are in hard to wire places.

Reply 10 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

mac's can be faked, and wpa cracked easily. physical security is the best thing you can have. The best encryption in the world is worthless if someone can just hide in your bushes and intercept packets.

3com and intel pci cards are STUPID easy to use in win 9x and are silly cheap. WHY would you want to use wifi?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11 of 20, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

mac's can be faked, and wpa cracked easily. physical security is the best thing you can have. The best encryption in the world is worthless if someone can just hide in your bushes and intercept packets.

3com and intel pci cards are STUPID easy to use in win 9x and are silly cheap. WHY would you want to use wifi?

The WiFi on my router has been switched off since I bought it LAST YEAR! Wouldn't mind atleast trying it out.

I use a Intel Pro 100 NIC but alas it slows boot time with intel boot agent. Takes up a PCI slot and IRQ. I've used other NICs as well but free'ing up a slot is tempting.

Its not like the government isn't spying on you anyways. Why not let your neighbors share your pr0n stash 😉

Reply 12 of 20, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

To fake a MAC you'd have to know it first. And I doubt someone would really go to the effort of cracking the WPA of some average Joe's router just to get net access.

Reply 13 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

I'm more on this side, I prefer to use cables all the time. I don't mind the spagetti and I don't mind it being cheaper and less prone to weird problems that may creep up 😜

That said, I used a couple NIC's that had native support in Windows ME to circumvent having to download drivers.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never mind security; I avoid wifi simply because it seems like everyone always has some kind of problem getting it to work correctly.

keropi wrote:

I never got good speeds from NIC's in 9x... even my 1.4ghz tualatin with a pci 10/100 nic (rtl I think) only scores 600-800kb/sec when copying from/to my LAN...

Maybe you need to tweak your MTUs? I'm not sure what the best utility for that is, but EasyMTU comes to mind.

Reply 15 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To fake a MAC you'd have to know it first. And I doubt someone would really go to the effort of cracking the WPA of some average Joe's router just to get net access.

You can find a MAC easy just sniff the traffic. That's why MAC filtering is only of use for those who would never bother to sniff the traffic in the first place.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 20, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

You can find a MAC easy just sniff the traffic. That's why MAC filtering is only of use for those who would never bother to sniff the traffic in the first place.

Ahh I didn't think of that. You could hide the SSD too 😁

Reply 17 of 20, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

I was thinking about pulling out my NIC card and installing a mini USB 802.11n adapter.

Yes it kill your resources and have high cpu usage
Those Mini USB 802.11n = WinModen there bad idea on low end system and you as need USB 2.0 Port and drivers.

Reply 18 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shspvr wrote:
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Those Mini USB 802.11n = WinModen there bad idea on low end system and you as need USB 2.0 Port and drivers.

Um, doesn't "WinModem" kind of imply a modem and not a NIC?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softmodem

Reply 19 of 20, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
shspvr wrote:
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Um, doesn't "WinModem" kind of imply a modem and not a NIC?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softmodem

What I getting at is the software perform the entire emulation of a hardware on the main CPU just like a WinModem dose.