VOGONS

First post, by humanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Picked up this video card - model KY2-JAX-SVGA805. It looks like I could add a couple of chips to it but have no idea what to look for or where to get them. Suggestions? Here's some pics:

dsc00094qq.jpg

dsc00097qs.jpg

dsc00098vz.jpg

Thanks, people.

Reply 2 of 10, by humanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do have a PCI card with what appear to be identical sockets (4 of them, each with a chip). I was thinking of putting them in. What's the worst that could happen? No boot? Spontaneous combustion?

Reply 3 of 10, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the exact same card and successfully upgraded it with standard 256K x 16 bits EDO DRAM chips.

Reply 4 of 10, by humanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
batracio wrote:

I have the exact same card and successfully upgraded it with standard 256K x 16 bits EDO DRAM chips.

Cool. Found some on ebay that I hope will do the trick.

Reply 5 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They are just SOJ chips. with 70ns of access time..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KM416V256-416V256-416 … #ht_1563wt_1163

The memory chips are only to can use a lot higher resolution.. because it can adress more with more memory on this board.

The card wouldnt get faster..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 6 of 10, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

The memory chips are only to can use a lot higher resolution.. because it can adress more with more memory on this board.

The card wouldnt get faster..

Actually each of those chips has a 16-bit interface. When used in pairs, they allow the resulting 1 MB of RAM to be addressed by a 32-bit width bus. If you add another pair of chips, the resulting 2 MB may be addressed by a faster 64-bit width bus if the graphics card was designed to support it. That's how S3 Trio64 and other similar cards work when you install the memory upgrade.

Reply 7 of 10, by humanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good info. I'll run a benchmark before and after to see how it turns out.

Reply 8 of 10, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, but that info is true for 64-bit cards only. IIRC, S3 805 is a 32-bit card.

Reply 9 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some ET4000 chips can do an interleave like that as well.