VOGONS

Reply 21 of 50, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool! I assume the service is quite good there? I fancy getting one.

Reply 22 of 50, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

2 years later I am resurrecting this thread to let you know that there is an e-shop in Spain that sells covox clones for 6eur: http://www.retrocables.es/product.php?id_prod … ct=63&id_lang=1
enjoy!

Thanks very much for this link. I have just ordered a couple of them.

Reply 24 of 50, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Silent Loon wrote:

What about the Azetech Sound Galaxy NX 16 Pro?

Did you get one? Tried it? ( Covox / Disney LPT thingies )

It would be interesting to know how it sounds like. I have the card but it is not installed and I also do not know, if I have one of the games that natively support the Disney Soundsource...

This is going back a while, but yes I have a Sound Galaxy NX Pro with the Covox support. It sounds just the same as the normal digital audio, just a bit 'tinnier', like its got a high pass filter.
I may do a recording one day...

Reply 25 of 50, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

2 years later I am resurrecting this thread to let you know that there is an e-shop in Spain that sells covox clones for 6eur: http://www.retrocables.es/product.php?id_prod … ct=63&id_lang=1
enjoy!

Keropi, please can you explain something to me about these Covox clones? I've got one plugged in to the parallel printer port on an ISA-based IO controller card. I downloaded some DOS based Covox software to test it, and it worked.

I then ran Wolfenstein 3D, in order to run some more tests, because I know this game supports the "Disney sound source". However, this game can't "see" the Covox clone hardware. Do I need to run a DOS driver, for this game to see the Covox clone, or is this game not compatible with the Covox clone hardware? Or, perhaps I need to plug the Covox clone in to the mobo's parallel port, rather than plug it in to an ISA IO controller card? Thanks a lot for any help on this.

I notice on the Wikipedia page about the Covox, that "Games that run on Disney Sound Source should run without problems on simpler Covoxes...". I am guessing that the Covox clone could be desribed as a "simple Covox", and therefore should work if a game supports the DSS.

Reply 26 of 50, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Disney Soundsource is not the same as Covox, and Wolfenstein needs Disney.

1+1=10

Reply 27 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While Covox and Disney are interesting devices, I can't help and see them as cheaper alternatives to Sound Blaster.

Maybe nice collectors items but for everyday gaming I would just stick with a Sound Blaster.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 50, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Disney Soundsource is not the same as Covox, and Wolfenstein needs Disney.

Thanks for the info. I wonder, has anyone produced a piece of hardware that is DSS compatible?

Reply 29 of 50, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Aztech Sound Galaxy card I have works with Wolfenstein 3d in DSS mode.

Reply 30 of 50, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for that info. It's good to know that those Aztech's have DSS support. Is it a fairly rare 8-bit card? Does it produce fairly good sound quality? Do you use it primarily for DSS support?

Reply 31 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I looked into this ages ago and there are a few Aztech cards that have this compatibility. It was a good marketing feature to be compatible to so many standards.

I believe they had this written on the box. Something like "compatible to 5 standards".

My YouTube channel

Reply 32 of 50, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a 16 bit card, sounds pretty good and seems to work pretty well.

I don't even bother with. Covox/DSS support since sound blaster sounds far better 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 33 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

True. Back in the day these were cheaper alternatives to Sound Blaster / Adlib. But now? Fun for tinkering and for collecting maybe. I would be surprised if there is a game that supports speaker and Covox but has no support for Sound Blaster...

My YouTube channel

Reply 34 of 50, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if these Aztech Sound Galaxy ISA cards on ebay have DSS support? Does anyone know please? Thanks a lot.

Reply 35 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hard to say...

One Tip: They have a jumper for "faking" a parallel port or something like that. That's quite the giveaway. But this only helps if the images are so good that you can see the text on the PCB.

Ages ago I went through that site, you know THE bible with all the mainboards and jumper settings, and checked out all Aztech cards. That way I found 2-4 models which are compatible with Covox / DSS.

My YouTube channel

Reply 36 of 50, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's very interesting. I investigated that tip, and noticed that the sound cards with a "virtual parallel" jumper setting also had a volume dial on the faceplate section. The sound cards in that ebay auction don't have a volume dial, and so my initial hunch is to suspect that they are not DSS compatible..

Reply 38 of 50, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.siliconsoft.com/sndjr1.htm
Compatible with some "basic" Covox (as it is indicated in some game setups) and LPT DACs, not with DSS in despite of...

Works with all Windows sound programs (emulates 'Blaster' boards) and 100's of popular DOS applications that support parallel port sound (like Covox Speech Thing, Disney Sound Source).

At least it not working like DSS in Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem 3D.
Has accurate prof look, with labeled sticker on it. Build-in female minijack, passthrough lpt-port, comes with paper manual and 3.5" floppy with drivers for win3.x on it 😀

If need i'll make real foto for that device and test it in appropriate games.

Reply 39 of 50, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting link - thanks. About a month ago, I decided to get this Covox clone device, based on Keropi's post made earlier in this thread. They are good quality, and cost only 6 euros. 😀