First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Poll: Have you encountered one?

• 2 votes (14%) 2 votes (14%)
  • 12 votes (86%) 12 votes (86%)

This was a popular computer despite its sluggishness (8mb RAM, and no cache!)

I don't have one, but i've seen this particular model a lot in my travels in the '90s. I forgot what software bundles it had

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 13, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a P5-75 tower that my neighbor gave me back in 2003. The case was definitely top notch; standard AT but heavy, gigantic and with plenty of room for expansion. I don't remember if the motherboard had any cache but the system ran Windows 98 pretty nicely. I even frequently usedthe internet on it though this was almost a decade ago. I don't see shipping with low RAM as being a limitation as that's easy and cheap to fix. Even without cache, it should, for most purposes, be speedier than a 486 system.

If memory serves me right, a typical Gateway system in the mid 90s like that had the various MS Entertainment Packs, Encarta, MS BOB and some other stuff I don't see any reason to care about. Unless you bought one towards the end of it's production life, it probably had Windows 3.1 preloaded.

Reply 2 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just saw one at my local thrift store saturday. they wanted $5 for it but I diddnt really have the room or desire to get it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 13, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm surprised the thrift stores in your area still house computers of this age. Where I am, old computers like this completely bypass the thrift shops and head off to the IC recycler. This is sorta counter-intuitive since the impressions of most tourists to Canada are that "it feels very 80's."

*moment of deep insight*
There aren't any P75's at thrift stores in Canada because they are all still in regular use.

*second factor of insight*
P75's didn't come out 'til the 90's. We still have a few years to go!

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 13, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The slowest socket 5/7 Pentium I've felt-up in person, and in its natural habitat, was a P100 back in ~1994, and again in 1998.

It seems like the P75 came out after the P90/100/120 CPU line to grab the interest of budget shoppers. It was probably an Intel effort to compete with the high-end 486 bugdet group.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 13, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a P75-based system (not a Gateway, but an HP Vectra) - it feels slower than a 486DX2/66, hopefully because it has no L2 cache 😀.

Reply 7 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

The slowest socket 5/7 Pentium I've felt-up in person, and in its natural habitat, was a P100 back in ~1994, and again in 1998.

It seems like the P75 came out after the P90/100/120 CPU line to grab the interest of budget shoppers. It was probably an Intel effort to compete with the high-end 486 bugdet group.

Or else they were binned parts that were originally meant to run at faster speeds but failed quality testing.

Reply 8 of 13, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Typically, a Pentium 75 can easily overclock to 90mhz. Also, a lot of them have the FDIV bug that's more commonly associated with the 60 and 66mhz Socket 4 chips (I'm not sure exactly when the FDIV bug was fixed but it seems if the chip lacks a gold heat spreader, it's new enough to not have said bug).

Whatever the case, I think the main reason for the sluggishness of that particular chip comes down to the 50mhz bus speed on top of the fact most computers that the chip was shipped with typically had crap hard drives and other components.

The Gateway P75 tower I used to own featured an Intel motherboard (I think a Plato) and I'm pretty sure there was an L2 cache though it was probably on the smaller side. To date, that, an IBM Server 95 and a ThinkPad 755CD are the only computers I have experience with that had a 75mhz Pentium.

Reply 9 of 13, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About a year ago, I'd been experimenting using a P75. If I remember correctly, it was able to run up to 133MHz, with no problems. Then sometime I accidentally placed it on a board, which was set for a 233MMX, without a heatsink just for a few seconds, and a burning smell came. But it still works fine...

Reply 10 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Markk wrote:

About a year ago, I'd been experimenting using a P75. If I remember correctly, it was able to run up to 133MHz, with no problems. Then sometime I accidentally placed it on a board, which was set for a 233MMX, without a heatsink just for a few seconds, and a burning smell came. But it still works fine...

The magic smoke didn't leak out. 😁

Reply 11 of 13, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pentium chips are pretty resilient. I remember having a Pentium box in which I accidentally broke off one of the tabs on the socket that holds the heatsink on so I literally just Elmer's glued the heatsink to the cpu (no fan either). I had it overclocked from 133 to 166mhz and never had a bit of trouble with it.

Reply 13 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think something called "Action!" was bundled with it. I'm not sure if it was Macromedia or not.

The Gateway P75 was originally announced in Nov 1994, but was rereleased in Aug 1996 with Windows 95 and a different bundle, but the specs pretty much unchanged and the price *STILL* in the two thousands.

I don't know. I'm a little bit nostalgic of the Gateway 2000 P75

apsosig.png
long live PCem