VOGONS

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m new to external midi devices and having trouble getting it working. The card works fine in Doom & Decent both Sfx & Midi from the card but as soon as I try to use an external device I loose my music.

I am using the game port on a Labway LWHA151A00 (ISA Yamaha YMF719 card)
My autoexec.bat has the following lines,

SET BLASTER=A240 I7 D3 T4 P300
Set MIDI=Synth:2 Map:G

setupsa adds the set blaster line automaticly but I added the P300 as well as the the entire set midi line manually.

Here is a screenshot of the config from sertupsa

image001p.gif

I have tried most ports but am I correct in thinking this is correctly set to 300 as this is the port I would prefer?

I’m using a Roland SC 55 with the Midi cable plugged into “In 1” on the back and speakers plugged into the front headphone socket. Is there anything on the SC55 I have to do?

Really I just want to use the gameport, I have an AWE32 I’d prefer to use for sound this is on A220 I5 D1 H5 P330

The Labtek has 2 jumpers but cant work out what they do not (But haven’t looked into this much either)

Thanks all, I know I’m just missing 1 little step but cant think what!?!?

Reply 1 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So the AWE is for digital sound and you would like to use the Labway as a MIDI card?

Firstly set the AWE to 300 and the Labway to 330.

I assume you have tested the SC-55 on the AWE and know that it's working and that the MIDI cable works?

Personally I would remove the AWE32 for the moment and just work on getting the external MIDI working on the Labway.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 6, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does your midi cable have one or two connectors? Mine has two, and you need to swap them on the external unit i.e. the cable marked out needs to go into the socket marked in on the sc55.

You are running these games from within windows? Have you installed the windows driver? You can get it here http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/lsi/download/

With these drivers I can play dos games within win98 with digital sound and MIDI on my SC55 and I didn't even touch setupsa.exe

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AWE for digital sound, Labway as a MIDI card? Correct.
Changed Labway to 330, still no change.

I did try to get the sc55 working on the awe32 but gave up after a short while as its not going to work in doom anyway. Again this could be me configuring things wrong and yeh I removed the awe32 till I can get midi working (I’m a guy, can only do 1 thing at a time)

The Midi cable came with a MU10 off ebay. This was purchased from a music school who was also selling the keyboard so assume it worked, but can’t confirm this. I’d like to know the setup is correct before replacing cables that aren’t to blame however.

The SC55 play the sample songs ok. MU10 powers on but cant do any further testing really without a working setup.

The Midi cable only has 1 connector. Win98 is installed just so I can see whats going on with resources, all games are played booting directly into dos.

I just tested windows & it does the same as dos. I’m just using the SB Pro or compatible drivers installed during setup, it also installed Windows Sound System but I’ve disabled that in device manager

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it fair to say with the lack of any other ideas that it seems like the midi cable is my problem?
I dont mind getting a replacement if thats whats at fault, but wasnt sure if I am doing something wrong or missed something?

Reply 5 of 6, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have a multimeter or continuity tester you could test the cable but otherwise yes I'd suggest trying a new MIDI cable next.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 6, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

I just tested windows & it does the same as dos.

Do you mean you've tried the game in Windows or tried to use the SC 55 in Windows?

Also, when you tried it on the AWE32, did you disable its MPU-401 emulation?