VOGONS

First post, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to test this socket4 mobo* with a Pentium60(at least that is what the digital display says).

Only(?) problem is that all the memory modules are gone, and I suspect the ones I am trying are of the wrong kind, somehow.

*: basically a fully loaded pizza case, bar hdd as well as memory...

- Starting it up it starts to beep, a single(2 second) beep with a similar interval, only stops when I turn it off.
(no boot picture of course)

So, I thought if this was something very obvious, someone here might have a quick answer roll of their tongue (i.e. keyboard).

I suspect this is an Intel mobo, 430LX chipset, ISA + PCI slots.
Sadly with a Dallas clock.
Seems to be made in july 1994.
Further details might be available, but that requires a lot of dismantling work to read all the tiny text.

I might add that when I remove the few memory modules I am able to locate from my other working PC's(socket7), I seem to have to install them 'backwards' to the position they held in the donor board to make them click smoothly into place... 😮

Any takers on this one ?

Reply 1 of 5, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Socket 4 motherboard with Pentium 60 which you can read about here Socket 4 Pentium

As far as RAM goes I believe the 430LX requires parity, so make sure you are using appropriate SIMMs.

Can you post a picture of the motherboard?

A flat Dallas chip stopped mine from POSTing until I replaced it. So have you replaced that yet? There was a seller on ebay who had some 2008 dated DS12887 which should be compatible, although that was a couple of years ago now... There's also a mod you can do to hack the sides off the chip and solder a coin cell battery holder onto it, if you are so inclined.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 5, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thankyou for input!

As for simms, how do I tell which has 'parity' or not?
(I know I have a box full, somewhere.... but now I can't find it even after 1 hr searching/pondering! 😵 )

I'll see if I can get a picture or 3 taken, but that will take a day or 2.

Dallas, yeah, perhaps. Still, I have an older 486 mobo where it still ticks fine, so... Hoping for a memory snafu for now 😁
(I've read about those hacks earlier, not my cup'a tea...)

Reply 3 of 5, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, parity 72-pin SIMMs are 36 bits wide, non-parity are 32. So if it has a sticker that ??x36 on it then its parity.
Another good way to check in the absence of a sticker is counting the number of chips, usually parity SIMMs will have a number of chips on it that are a multiple of 3. If it has an even number of chips then its usually non-parity. But this isn't a hard and fast rule, there are exceptions for both.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 5, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, what do you know - problem solved... 😁

Unable to find my stash of simms at the moment, I finally dug out a (marked for recycling/parts only) twin/copy of the same machine from the depths of the 'warehouse'.
(CPU is dangling loose from a power cord, lotsa bent pins, previous owner was mean to it apparantly, and the hdd cage is totally missing from the case)

- BUT, there I miraculously found 4 sticks of memory still sitting pretty!

I noted the placement before removing them, and transplanted them into my test machine, and voila! Boots just fine now, confirmed Pentium60 CPU shows in the POST.

Memory sticks only give me 8mb(!) total, meaning they are only 2mb each!!
Perhaps the ones I tried earlier were just too big ?
(most were double sided)

And impossible to tell from looking at them that these are 36 bits wide/parity - no sticker, and only 8 chips, single sided....

Thanks for the tips anyway - at least I'll have something to look for when I plan sorting my yet-not-found cache of simms...

If you still want pics, let me know.

PS: boy that thing gets hot... can't even touch the heatsink for more than a split second. Better add a fan I suppose...

Reply 5 of 5, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the first new Intel chips are always too... new. Pentium 60/66 - discontinued socket4.
Pentium Pro - discontinued socket8. Pentium 4 Willamette - discontinued socket423.
By the way, early Intel Core i7 - looks like discontinued socket 1366.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).