VOGONS

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today's item: HP Vectra XW (or XU 6/xxx) dual-socket8 mainboard.

I got this huge baby sometimes last week, and was told that it had been tested and found dead. When I first saw it I thought "oh no, another proprietary board, it will be a pain to find a proper PSU!", but further searching revealed its identity, and it turned out that an ordinary ATX PSU should do the trick.

As seen in the attached photos (beware, 8-900KB each) it uses the Intel 82450GX (Orion) chipset (although 450KX is the one mentioned in the manuals) and among other things comes with on-board Vibra 16S, YMF262-M OPL and CMD 646 IDE chip (will have to check if all the 64x series suffers from the infamous data corruption bug, or just the 640). CMOS data is preserved not by a battery, but by a "gold capacitor" which, according to the manuals, can last for about a week and can be recharged in about an hour just by plugging the system in.

Now, to get back on-topic, I'd be thrilled to test this baby if I only had some FPM DIMMs. That's right, FPM - EDO DIMMs are already pretty hard to find, and I'm guessing FPM DIMMs are rarer than hair on a frog - and to make matters worse, a pair of them is needed. The bright side of this is that there is a chance that the previous tester was wrong (I seriously doubt he had the right memory sticks for it)... will keep this one stored until luck strikes me.

Attachments

• Filename
    xw_board.jpg
    File size
    807.57 KiB
    Downloads
    144 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    xw_board_chipset.jpg
    File size
    913.91 KiB
    Downloads
    132 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    xw_board_io.jpg
    File size
    836.42 KiB
    Downloads
    138 downloads
    File license

Reply 1 of 6, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You also need a couple of proper pentium pro VRMs (the white pin sockets next to the socket 8s) in order to run the board at all. And yes, I am pretty sure that needs EDO DIMMs, though don't quote me on that.

Reply 4 of 6, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right, the VRMs... I have two of those (one came with this board and the other was taken from a dual-socket8 IBM board) - if at least one of them works then I'm set for testing.

Wiki says 450KX/GX uses FPM, but I'm still looking for some "official" chipset documentation to confirm that. As for FPM vs. EDO by access times, I have quite a few FPM SIMMs with 60ns chips (and they are definitely FPM - verified by datasheet and by testing in 486 boards that don't support EDO for sure)...

Reply 5 of 6, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm surprised, that goes against everything I've always read and heard... I guess they could be separate, but I was always told and always got info they were the same... *shrug* dunno now. I'll have to do some homework when I feel up to it.

Reply 6 of 6, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

reading the manual is your best bet:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupp … 9&manualLang=en

looks like the board requires ECC FPM dimms. a maximum of 512mb. all i did was search ebay for ecc fpm dimm and I see MANY for sale as low as $5. (each) Which considering the rarity, is not a bad deal. Now, it SHOULD also accept EDO ram. However if you look, it is using ram-multiplexers (Its the four S82451GX chips) EDO ram is faster, but with the setup you have it may be better to use fpm.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.