VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Happen to have some, wondering if it's ever likely to be useful or whether to just bin/recycle it.

Reply 1 of 7, by fronzel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well afaik these were mainly used in apple computers and as apple owners naturally always have big wallets i'd try to sell them on ebay.

Reply 2 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are EDO DIMMs right? I've seen them in dual proc Pentium Pro systems.

Reply 3 of 7, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Didn't a fair amount of early DIMM-equipped boards support both SDRAM and EDO DRAM? (particularly those with both SIMM and DIMM slots for RAM) I seem to remember mention of some Socket 7/SS7 boards doing that.

EDO DRAM was available in speeds roughly equivalent to PC66 and PC100 SDRAM in the late 90s, and should have been cheaper at the time, so it would have made sense to support it. (EDO DRAMs in that speed range were fairly common in graphics cards in the late 90s too)

Reply 4 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the ram slots look the same as for pc100/pc133 sdram dimms, but one of the keys is slightly moved because of the voltage. At least, in my days of utter noobiness I remember contemplating forcing a pc133 stick into the mac board, even filing the key slot [luckily someone stopped me...]🤣.

I got this ram out of a mac, just wondering if I would ever be likely to come across pc boards needing it.

Reply 5 of 7, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure they're keyed differently?

On the handful of AT Socket 7 boards I have with DIMM slots, there is a 3.3V/5V jumper next to them.

Unless the slots are different somehow to accommodate both key arrangements?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the mac board is keyed for the 5v dimms, and the 3.3v's won't physically fit.

Must confess I hadn't considered the possibility that pc boards might have a universal keying. I'd not noticed any extra-wide keyings in any dimm slots on the boards I've ever had, though to be fair I would probably never have looked closely enough. I better check I guess!

Reply 7 of 7, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still got 'em? I might be interested depending on size.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...