VOGONS

New 486 toys! o_O

Topic actions

First post, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got two 486 boards to play around with, of the two which would be the better of them?

Board 1: Overdrive DX2-66, 256KB L2, Mach32 EISA, AHA-1742a EISA
Board 2: DX-50, 256KB L2, Diamond Viper VLB

I've got no idea what to do with either of them, but maybe one would be a good dos/3.1 machine since both should be able to do graphics acceleration.
The only SCSI drive I have on hand is an 18GB monster with the SCA connector, still I would need an adapter and have to learn about all that LVD/HVD stuff.

I have one 486 board that needs fixing though, the barrel battery claimed a couple of traces so it literally does nothing.
Not even the keyboard lights up so I'm hoping that fixing/replacing those eaten traces will liven it up again.

Reply 1 of 20, by fronzel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd probably favor #1, but I'm sure that I would have fun with both of them. You can get adaptors and stuff pretty cheap on ebay, i often scan large part lots (Search in description as well). I recently won a large lot with like 20 scsi adaptors, loads of cables, several original boxed fans and more for 3 dollars.

Reply 3 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Uh oh.
I'm looking for !DTK0003.CFG but it's not going to well...

I have a feeling the lack of configuration is why the adaptec utility won't see the SCSI card despite booting a floppy from it.

Reply 4 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd stick the DX-50 in the EISA system. VLB doesn't *normally* work well at 50MHz.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm, that would give me more memory bandwidth but at the cost of processing power...
I'll benchmark it today if I can get the chance.

I did get EISA configured by renaming one of the OPTI config files so now the SCSI controller is seen and I get no warnings on bootup.

[Edit]
I cannot get my ST34555N formatted, sometimes it goes all the way to 100% and says "Error writing directory." or hangs.
The Adaptec low level formatter worked, I've created 3 partitions with fdisk but it's still failing every time.

Reply 6 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I'd stick the DX-50 in the EISA system. VLB doesn't *normally* work well at 50MHz.

+1

The dx-50 is faster than the 66 in a lot of tasks, and if you have a proper motherboard to support it, it is actually a beast. Eisa is *almost* a sure bet of a quality performance motherboard.

Also, POST PICTURES!!!!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll see about pictures tomorrow. 😁
It's a pretty big board, right now I'm looking into some SCSI issues and possibly tracking down a new drive.

Also, if I weren't dirt poor there are a few 5v 100MHz 486 overdrives on eBay.
I wonder if they'd work at 50x2...

Reply 8 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So...
How hot would a DX-50 get anyway?

I have a tonne of heatsinks and fans but as you all know socket 2/3 usually has no mounting mechanisms.
Would it get hot enough to melt glue from a glue stick?

The 66MHz overdrive that's in there now gets painfully hot, I wouldn't be comfortable running it for long now unless I find a fan for it.
I'm still not to happy about using a different EISA config than was intended, if I'm interpreting things right not all EISA slots can bus master and it seems to vary between boards which slots can/can't.

If anyone has !DTK0003.CFG I would love a copy.

Reply 9 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a dx-50 board. (I wish I hadn't sold it tbh) I never had a heatsink on it but it would get very hot to the touch. A heatsink is ALWAYS beneficial. Ebay seems to have a few right now, from the cheap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230774234743 to the overpriced but new: http://www.ebay.com/itm/250975677990

A standard 40mm fan will keep any 486 cool that has a permanent heatsink.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like how the shipping is 26x the cost of the heatsink 😁
Luckily heatsinks are a dime a dozen, I just have to find out how to mount it without being permanent.

Also, before obsessing about network configuration and if you've got the correct packet driver; check first that all of the cables are plugged in...

[Edit]
I dunno man...

Attachments

• ss.png
    Filename
    ss.png
    File size
    8.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can get one of the magical overdrive chips, you can keep your eyes open for a VRM. I actually prefer using VRMs so that I choose my own chip. A Cyrix 5x86 will run well at 2x50, and a am5x86 will usually work well at 3x50. Occasionally you can find DX4 chips that will work fine at 2x50 as well.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't the memory bandwidth a bit low?
I tried SimCity 2000 SE for Win 3.1 and even with accelerated mach32 drivers it's too slow to be playable.

🙁

[Edit]
If my tests are correct, my M919 board is much faster despite having no L2 cache.
😮

Attachments

• M919FAS.png
    Filename
    M919FAS.png
    File size
    5.43 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried the other board and it's the same deal, the main memory on the M919 is running faster than this board's L2...
Maybe I'll pop the DX-50 in the M919 and compare it's real world performance in Doom vs a DX2-66.

Attachments

• 486-sv2_fast.png
    Filename
    486-sv2_fast.png
    File size
    5.91 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 15 of 20, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had an M919 and I saw the same results. Without L2 cache the M919 has about 3 times faster memory bandwidth in speedsys than boards with L2 cache.
I don't understand the workings of the cache or Speedsys that lead to this conclusion. However, if you try 3dbench, a doom timedemo or some other benchmarks you'll find the M919 suffers in performance compared to boards with cache.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 16 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's with the memory bandwidth difference though?
The 30 vs 72 pin memory?

If you can get one of the magical overdrive chips, you can keep your eyes open for a VRM. I actually prefer using VRMs so that I choose my own chip. A Cyrix 5x86 will run well at 2x50, and a am5x86 will usually work well at 3x50. Occasionally you can find DX4 chips that will work fine at 2x50 as well.

I've thought about that but I haven't even seen one of those 486 VRM boards, would a clock doubled/tripled chip even work in a board that doesn't support them?
If I weren't broke I would totally want a 5x86 to play with 😁

Reply 17 of 20, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your bios has an option to change L2 cache from "write back" to "write through" give that a try, my memory bandwidth goes from 33mb/s to 133mb/s along with fiddling ram timings.

Reply 18 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't see any options there to set the L2 mode, the 2nd screenshot is with the timings tightened as far as they would go.
Is your board using 30 pin simms?

Reply 19 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

I had an M919 and I saw the same results. Without L2 cache the M919 has about 3 times faster memory bandwidth in speedsys than boards with L2 cache.
I don't understand the workings of the cache or Speedsys that lead to this conclusion. However, if you try 3dbench, a doom timedemo or some other benchmarks you'll find the M919 suffers in performance compared to boards with cache.

DooM SE 1.9 timedemo 1 results:
----------------------------------------
486 DX-50 486-SV2 21 FPS
486 DX2-66 M919 25 FPS
486 DX-50 M919 2WS 20 FPS
486 DX-50 M919 1WS 22 FPS

It seems that doom favors raw clock speed vs memory bandwidth, I have no idea if L2 is having any effect but I'll try the other board with the 66MHz cpu later.

On the other hand, the M919 board is not stable at 0WS at 50MHz so maybe that is a factor in it's lower scores.
Unless the CL-GD5426 is bottlenecking everything...