VOGONS

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Soooo, basically I want to build myself a 486 with the AMD 5x86 133Mhz.
The thing is, I haven't done any hardware related stuff lately and I'm really rusty 😊

So I checked th99 for jumper settings for how to jumper a couple boards for the 5x86.
Problem is, th99 doesn't mention the AMD 5x86 jumper settings even though I suspect 2 of the boards will actually support said CPU.
The 3 boards I'm trying to find the correct jumper settings for, are the ASUS PVI-486SP3, the Chaintech 486SPM and the Abit PV4T.

I also have one completed system build around the Acer AP43 and a DX4-100 (because I didn't know the correct jumper for the 5x86 -_- ) but for some reason the mouse didn't work last time I tried the rig and I never really looked into that lil problem.

My idea was this:To jumper for the Intel DX4 (WB if mentioned separately) and then jumper the multi to 2x instead of 3x (which the 5x86 should interpret as 4x), but I just can't figure out which jumper is for the CPU multiplier.
My guess is that installing a 5x86 (the AMD one) with the board jumpered to receive an Intel DX4, the 5x86 will run at 100Mhz instead of 133?
And obviously I will want to have it run @ 133Mhz. Wether it runs with WT or WB isn't as important to me, even though I know WT will degrade performance for a little bit.

In short: Does anyone actually know how to put the jumpers for the above mentioned boards for the AMD 5x86?
Because I just can't figure it out 😢

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1 of 6, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Manual for the Asus 486SP3: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock5/486sp … /pvi_486sp3.zip
(BIOS is in that FTP directory)
Chaintech 4SPM: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Chainte … 4spm/index.html
BIOS for Chaintech if you need it: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Chainte … 4spm/index.html

ABit seems to never have posted the manuals online.

Reply 2 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome back to the forum!

By comparing various 2X and 3X cpu jumper settings, you can usually deduce which jumper is for the 2X/3X multiplier.

Once you figure which is the 2X/4X setting, how about booting up that Cyrix 5x86-133/4x chip? I'd be interested in knowing if any of those chips in that mass auction worked and what the stepping/revision is.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 6, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tetrium, my friend had a 486SPM and 5x86-133 and they worked well together. However, later he decided to get rid of it and sent it to me via mail... It killed the board, I can't even get a POST now. Sad 🙁

Reply 4 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:
Manual for the Asus 486SP3: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock5/486sp … /pvi_486sp3.zip (BIOS is in that FTP directory) Chai […]
Show full quote

Manual for the Asus 486SP3: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock5/486sp … /pvi_486sp3.zip
(BIOS is in that FTP directory)
Chaintech 4SPM: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Chainte … 4spm/index.html
BIOS for Chaintech if you need it: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Chainte … 4spm/index.html

ABit seems to never have posted the manuals online.

Thanks! I couldn't find neither of these manuals!
I'm not sure my revision SP3 supports the 5x86 though, it's a 1.2 board (I thought it was 1.22, but that's the board that had one of those talantum caps explode 🙁 )
The 486SPM has a sticker on the BIOS chip dating 1998, it's probably already upgraded by the previous owner as the board itself dates 1995.
The Abit board is what I believe some kind of OEM board (pulled out of a Sky computer (iirc) myself 10 years ago).
The boards not supporting the 5x86 will probably receive a POD instead (or one of those 5x86 turbochip clones), though I don't know how much noise those little fans made.

feipoa wrote:

Welcome back to the forum!

By comparing various 2X and 3X cpu jumper settings, you can usually deduce which jumper is for the 2X/3X multiplier.

Once you figure which is the 2X/4X setting, how about booting up that Cyrix 5x86-133/4x chip? I'd be interested in knowing if any of those chips in that mass auction worked and what the stepping/revision is.

Thanks!
I briefly considered testing that chip, though I'd hate having it's markings scratched. I'll see what I can do to limit those scratches (iirc I have a couple 486 coolers that "kinda clamp" onto the CPU itself)

RacoonRider wrote:

Tetrium, my friend had a 486SPM and 5x86-133 and they worked well together. However, later he decided to get rid of it and sent it to me via mail... It killed the board, I can't even get a POST now. Sad 🙁

😵 😵
Dang. That's a waste 🙁

I had forgotten how tricky it can be to assemble a 486. All those jumpers make my head spin! 😵
I'm still in the process of selecting the parts I intend to use, haven't gotten as far as actually booting the boards so I'm not even sure they'll even work 😅
I'm kinda hoping I don't get another exploding cap ahem! 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 6, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strange, my Chaintech 486SLB also has a BIOS chip with a 1998 sticker on it, but the BIOS is from 1994 and doesn't have LBA support! That board despite not having a ZIF socket or 3.3v support, seems to support WB L1 cache.

Reply 6 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:

Strange, my Chaintech 486SLB also has a BIOS chip with a 1998 sticker on it, but the BIOS is from 1994 and doesn't have LBA support! That board despite not having a ZIF socket or 3.3v support, seems to support WB L1 cache.

Ow, that's not good. Oh well, maybe I'll be in luck?

But strange, why would a 1994 BIOS have a sticker with 1998 on it?
It would be logical to assume it's the date code.
Perhaps it's a replacement BIOS that circumvents the year 2000 problem?
I don't know, I'm just guessing.

Report spammers here!