VOGONS

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm trying to clear out some of my old inventory, and it occurs to me I never got to the bottom of what this thing is.
3460uv8.jpg

It fits inside one a 5.25" drive bay. It has an IDE connector and a molex connector on the back, and it's plugged into what looks like a perfectly ordinary IDE connector on a motherboard.

I think it's for some variety of removable hard drive caddy, but which one, exactly? Has anyone here seen something like this before? I can find no distinguishing markings.

Attachments

• Filename
    bracket.jpg
    File size
    101.27 KiB
    Downloads
    133 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 14, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not too hard to find; maybe for that specific version it might be tough to find a match though. I've got a bunch of these that my dad had for some reason. Useful if you want to easily swap hard drives. I used to use an empty one as a drawer to hide candy from my sister when I was a kid 🤣

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 4 of 14, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This type of connector is usually used inside removeable IDE HDD systems for 5.25" slots. My version f.e. has a bit of electronics on the PCB with wires to a lock on the front.
Still I wouldn't recommend hotplugging this IDE stuff.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, it's a removable HDD caddy. Finding the correct "drawer" that fits it will be a problem though, I don't think these were universal. Usually the location of the connector is (slightly) different with different caddy systems.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 14, by DrSwizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Be careful. Even if you manage find a harddrive caddy that fits there is no guarantee that it will work properly. I friend of mine found out this the hard way when he fried a brand new harddrive.

Reply 7 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup that's what it is! You can buy these new on eBay. I use one in my 486 in order to access the CF card reader inside.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 14, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Are there any particular keywords to use in an eBay search that will bring up a caddy compatible with this connector?

"removable ide" is what I would search for. That being said, I have 2 nice metal ones next to me if you want them for $5 each + shipping. but I think if you can get them cheaper locally. 😜

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a cady with the same connector but it is best to look for a complete cady either wise anything can go wrong that is easily imagined. Schools and business used to have these by the truck load so they still turn up for almost for pennies when on sale.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

Is that different from the printer end of a parallel printer connector? It's been a while since I've had a parallel printer :p

Indeed, that's the first thing I thought of.

nforce4max wrote:

I have a cady with the same connector but it is best to look for a complete cady either wise anything can go wrong that is easily imagined. Schools and business used to have these by the truck load so they still turn up for almost for pennies when on sale.

Hmm, not much point in trying to sell it then, I guess.