VOGONS

First post, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay so yesterday I "upgraded" from my Voodoo 3 3500TV card to a Geforce FX 5500 AGP card, it works great in my 440BX motherboard without issue. I formatted and reinstalled Windows 98SE "just in case" of any conflicts and all was working.

Everything was going perfectly then suddenly today i'm having severe bouts of stutter in games for no known reason on my part. Like in Deux Ex when they speak they will audibly "st-t-t-tutter" and the framerate gets affected too when it does this, issues like that are appearing in games such as Sacrifice as well as other games as well.

Any ideas as to what is going on or perhaps some hints/tips on how to resolve this issue? The full system specs are in my signature.

Thanks in advance. 😎

Last edited by PhaytalError on 2012-07-19, 03:20. Edited 6 times in total.

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 2 of 43, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are any of your add-in cards sharing an IRQ?

Reply 3 of 43, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not that I know of, I checked in device manager and no conflicts and no known shared IRQ's.

I went ahead and systematically checked all my RAM modules and they are all working as well.

I never had this stuttering issue with my Voodoo 3, i'm wondering if it's a problem with the GeForce FX 5500, I doubt it though because these issues were not happening in my previous install, it started to happen after I formatted and reinstalled Windows 98SE.

Another oddity though I noticed is that my Johnny Castaway screensaver isn't behaving properly either, instead of animation of water, Johnny moving about, etc... he's just standing there and no animations in the background.

I do know that the heatsink on the card does get hot, it came with just a passive heatsink and no active cooler. The case however has nice fan airflow so I don't think the card is overheating.

I've reinstalled the Forceware 81.98 drivers, DirectX 9.0c, etc and the issue persists. Hmmm, perhaps another format and reinstall of Windows 98SE is needed. I guess i'll do that and see if that fixes it or not.

If that don't fix it then i'm gonna be forced to return the card, however i'd prefer to not do that since this was the best old-school GeForce card they had, they did have a Radeon 9800, however i'm scared to even try it because I know my old Radeon RV100 32MB AGP card had issues with DOS compatability: screen jerking, VESA craziness such as rainbow colors and slow FPS in VESA mode games such as Quake. I don't only game in Windows i'm also a DOS gamer so I need good quality compatability and that's what the GeForce cards seem to offer on that PC.

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 4 of 43, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay so reinstalling [again] was a complete waste of time, i've tried every BIOS trick I can think of, etc i'm still getting severe stutter randomly for no reason.

It's either the ISA soundcard bottlenecking the system, the GeForce FX 5500 AGP card itself, or the CPU and the AGP card are not playing well together. I find it odd though that the Voodoo 3 3500TV AGP card wasn't causing this, and before I reinstalled Windows lastnight the new AGP card wasn't doing this, but after I reinstalled Windows it now does it.

Something is bottlenecking for whatever reason somewhere, I just dunno what. OpenGL games do it too, just nowhere near as bad as DirectX games.

Any ideas or possible solutions?

Reply 5 of 43, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know how much these video cards costs, but whenever I run into such an issue I look at the time and hassle it would take to sort it out vs. just buying another part.

I had this with new parts. Machines freezing the audio and then locking up. And in the end it was some PCI conflict with a Sound Card and the mainboard I had. Got a new mainboard and it worked...

EDIT: I was absent from the PC game during this era and just reading an old article on tomshardware. It compares the TNT2 with the Voodoo 3 and it looks like this was the turning point.

Now the TNT2 is old and very cheap. Is it really faster than a Voodoo 3? I mean TNT2 cards are tiny simple cards.

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2012-07-18, 02:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 43, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I found the issue! I took out ALL (2) PCI cards one-at-a-time to see what the culprit was, first I took out the UltraATA 66 Promise PCI card, that wasn't it, then I took out the NIC and the issue was resolved.

I also removed my beloved NEC XR385 daughterboard from off my SB16 "just in case" but thank the PC gods that it wasn't that! 😜

I forgot that with these older motherboards that PCI card placement can play a big role in conflicts, and stability, especially with Windows 9x.

Now to find a good PCI slot for it... yay for non-sensical BS, but then again I guess it's technically half the fun, because in the end when it works, you get that euphoric feeling of accomplishment. 😉

Reply 8 of 43, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sebaz_ri wrote:
PhaytalError wrote:

I've reinstalled the Forceware 81.98 drivers, DirectX 9.0c, etc and the issue persists.

If you don't want to run into any compatibility problem with some old games use the 61.76 drivers
ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/61.76/61.76 … ternational.exe

Thanks, i'll give those a try and see if games that are "broke" can be fixed with them. 😁

Reply 9 of 43, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I can confirm that the issue has been resolved, woot! Moved the PCI ethernet card to a different PCI slot, HOWEVER, the NIC and the Serial Bus Controller [USB] are sharing IRQ 9, it doesn't seem to be conflicting though but that is a bit annoying because it can cause a conflict at random.

Is there a way I can change that, or is there a DOS program to see what IRQ's are free so I can set the ethernet cards IRQ in BIOS?

Anyways after I moved the NIC to a different slot all the stuttering both AGP wise and sound wise have been resolved, only took a full day and multiple reinstalls to figure out the problem, 🤣! 😁

Oh also, I rigged up a Pentium MMX fan to the GeForce FX 5500's heatsink, the card runs ALOT cooler now with the fan attached! 😁

Reply 10 of 43, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay so NOT solved... yet... but I now know what is causing it... and it's the oddest thing ever!

Anytime the ethernet cable is connected to the NIC and internet access is on that PC... THAT is causing the AGP stutters and THAT is what is causing the ISA sound stutters as well... it does it on every PCI ethernet card I own... ANY IDEA on what is causing that and how to stop it [other than unplugging the NIC cable everytime I wanna play a game]???

Thanks!

Reply 11 of 43, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhaytalError wrote:

Is there a way I can change that, or is there a DOS program to see what IRQ's are free so I can set the ethernet cards IRQ in BIOS?

In page 62 of the P3B-F manual they say how to change the pci slots IRQ:
http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Asus/sl … -f/p3bf-104.pdf
Also upgrading the BIOS might fix it, latest BIOS ver is 1006 30/jun/2000

2611708.png

Reply 12 of 43, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

what brand network card? I had issues with a realtek 8129, (i think) changed to a 3com905c issues disappeared.

Reply 13 of 43, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhaytalError wrote:

Anytime the ethernet cable is connected to the NIC and internet access is on that PC... THAT is causing the AGP stutters and THAT is what is causing the ISA sound stutters as well... it does it on every PCI ethernet card I own... ANY IDEA on what is causing that and how to stop it [other than unplugging the NIC cable everytime I wanna play a game]???

Yup, I've had this problem before. Is Plug 'n Play OS enabled in BIOS? You might try disabling it. Like sebaz_ri said, you'll want to play with the PCI IRQ settings. If you need a free IRQ, you can always disable COM1, COM2, or LPT1. Or all of them if you don't need them.

Reply 14 of 43, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stano wrote:

what brand network card? I had issues with a realtek 8129, (i think) changed to a 3com905c issues disappeared.

905B actually. The plain 905 cards (rev A) i've always been told have weird issues in 98. Never experienced it myself, but that was mostly because I always went for rev B cards. I've only ran into a few C's and require a newer driver for 98. They seem like better cards for 2000 imho.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 15 of 43, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried both a 3COM905B-TX and a D-Link DLE530-TX it's just weird how a simple CAT5 cable connected to a NIC can cause AGP and audio stutter like i'm having. Yeah I don't have any use for COM1, COM2, or LPT1 currently, so I guess I can disable those. However, whats odd is no matter what IRQ I set pr what PCI slot I use, the NIC and Serial Bus Connector [USB] will share the same IRQ. I'm a bit confused as to what is causing that. I even disabled USB IRQ from the BIOS but the issue remains.

Everytime I wanna play a game I must unplug the CAT5 from the NIC and that is not only annoying, but just flat out odd. I suppose I could just use wireless, but then I wouldn't be able to FTP, telnet, etc from pure DOS mode, also that would be a bit slower as well.

Is there anyway around this issue at all???

I've even used PCI Latency Tool, i've changed PCI latency in the BIOS, etc and that didn't resolve the issue either. I guess because the main issue is internet access is slowing down that PC and sucking down CPU cycles and I somehow don't think that it should be doing that.

Reply 16 of 43, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhaytalError wrote:

I guess because the main issue is internet access is slowing down that PC and sucking down CPU cycles and I somehow don't think that it should be doing that.

As i have already say you should try to upgrade the BIOS
What BIOS version do you have installed now?
The CPU cycles being sucked down could be antivirus updates?

2611708.png

Reply 17 of 43, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sebaz_ri wrote:
As i have already say you should try to upgrade the BIOS What BIOS version do you have installed now? The CPU cycles being sucke […]
Show full quote
PhaytalError wrote:

I guess because the main issue is internet access is slowing down that PC and sucking down CPU cycles and I somehow don't think that it should be doing that.

I have the most current BIOS installed for that mainboard, and I don't have antivirus installed on that PC yet; it's a fresh install, so no viruses, no malware, no spyware etc.

Reply 18 of 43, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhaytalError wrote:
sebaz_ri wrote:
As i have already say you should try to upgrade the BIOS What BIOS version do you have installed now? The CPU cycles being sucke […]
Show full quote
PhaytalError wrote:

I have the most current BIOS installed for that mainboard, and I don't have antivirus installed on that PC yet; it's a fresh install, so no viruses, no malware, no spyware etc.

What is your BIOS date/ver

2611708.png

Reply 19 of 43, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Currently: Beta BIOS 1008.004

I've also tried BIOS 1006 and same issue is there, the board came with BIOS 1005 which is what I was using when this whole issue started, but I flashed it lastnight to BIOS 1006 and then to the latest BETA because most ASUS P3B-F board users consider it stable, that it wasn't really a BETA perse and that it was perfectly fine to use.