VOGONS

where to buy old pc's?

Topic actions

First post, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

i ll probs get burned for this but if there a place or dealer in the uk that still sells old pc's by any chance? i ve tried a few place and ebay but havent got anywhere thus far! 🙁

thanks for your time.

Reply 1 of 4, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thrift stores are your friend 😀

Reply 2 of 4, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:

Thrift stores are your friend 😀

Not necessarily. A lot of them take stuff that is really old and sell it to a recycler because they usually have a hard time reselling machines that can't run current software.

Reply 3 of 4, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Not necessarily. A lot of them take stuff that is really old and sell it to a recycler because they usually have a hard time reselling machines that can't run current software.

Yeah thats what they do around here... 😒
They just take the nice old stuff and give it to the metal melting guy.
Same thing if it does not immediately works.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4 of 4, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I loathe any company that does metal scraping of computers or passes rigs onto those who do much less throw out. Good Will here in the states is one of the worst examples. They are now doing modern hardware that way that is barely two or three generations old. Expensive power macs, modern cards like the gtx 280 on up, even 775/am2+ era boards are going to the smelter. The rest either gets stolen by the employes or is sold at steep prices. I wouldn't be surprised that Core I era parts are being sent off to the smelter now because the company is so greedy that they want the metal money that badly. Greedy pricks bring in about in a few hundred million a year and this was once a "thrift shop" now wanting to be a billion dollar illuminist boutique.

They get in so much from the city that I live by that they ship everything off on pallets and they company is getting rich that way, people are so damn stupid that by donating to this company that they are helping the poor or being green when what they are doing is keeping some fat cats in corporate financially obese. They have sucked the area so dry that anything older than a Pentium 4/Socket A era machine is becoming rare while anything older than a Pentium 2 or a G4 is almost nonexistent. What is worse more than half of the people that work at their shops don't get paid at all but are forced to work there by the city as community service.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.