A sad day...

Topic actions

First post, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A really sad day...

Last week I had to permanently retire my Duke Nukem 3D mouse pad that I have literally used every day since 1996(?) <grin>. The mouse pad was actually included with the Duke3D CD when I first bought it way back then, and it was one of the higher quality mouse pads... my ball mouse tracked superbly on it 😀

Anyhow, that mouse pad was literally falling apart... the cloth surface was seperating from the rubber backing, and the rubber backing was crumbling to pieces. Heh, I EVEN tried fixing it with rubber/contact cement to no avail 🤣!

Now, being that I STILL use my exact SAME ball mouse from 1996 (a serial/PS2 3-button Logitech Mouseman Pro), I absolutely HAD to have another mouse pad of the same quality!

Hehe, not to fret though...

I dug out another BRAND-NEW-never-been-used mouse pad that was of similar high quality. Another mouse pad that I've also had since 1996 (but had never used), that came with the PC game Myst when I bought it back then <grin>.

(Side note: My copy of Myst also came with the game's complete soundtrack CD, a strategy guide, a yearly wall calendar with pretty Myst pics, as well as a spiffy T-shirt.)

Anyhow, my old Logitech Mouseman Pro feels right at home on it's new mouse pad 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 1 of 25, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd rather put my hand in a blender than use a Duke Nukem mousepad, but that's just old prejudices. Anyways, back then the king of gaming surfaces was probably Allsop. They had a perfect cloth surface and seem to be made out of some alien synthetic material that just would not die. I too have one from way back when, which has passed hands 3 or 4 times and is now back with me 😁 I know that you can find some extra large (widescreen) Allsop pads on Ebay from time to time. PC world used to sell them but they don't now. Hard to find in the UK. But since I got this Steelseries behemoth and have a Roccat Sense as a backup, the days of Allsops are probably over for me 🙁

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 3 of 25, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am looking for a nice pad to use with my wireless Microsoft PS2/RS232 ball mouse.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 4 of 25, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't use mouse pads either, until I wore down a desk (and the base of the palm of my hand). Then I got a cheap gel mouse pad which I've used ever since.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 5 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use the underside of a square of carpet as a mousepad 🤣, works for me 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 25, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You guys are so noob .... 😉 😉

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 7 of 25, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Wow!!

Pics or didn't happen 😁

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 8 of 25, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Do you vacuum it? 😜

I use an actual mouse pad... and I vacuum it. And the keyboard. Actually I vac my whole computer desk weekly - I'm a bit of a neat freak.

Reply 9 of 25, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a mousepad with my good old MS optical mouse, but unfortunately it's not as cool as duke nukem mousepad, it's just a mousepad from a local computer store from many years ago.

Reply 10 of 25, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:

I use an actual mouse pad... and I vacuum it.

Hehe, the D3D mouse pad in question: I used to thoroughly wash that thing about once every few months or so 🤣.

Simply fill sink, add dishwashing liquid, soak mouse pad, lightly scrub, rinse, and dry 😀

In between "deep-cleanings", a simple wipedown with an alcohol soaked paper towel would do the trick.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 11 of 25, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Do you vacuum it? 😜

I use an actual mouse pad... and I vacuum it. And the keyboard. Actually I vac my whole computer desk weekly - I'm a bit of a neat freak.

Try isopropylalchohol - works better, believe me 😉

Reply 12 of 25, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmmm. To my best knowledge, the concept of gaming mouse was unknown in our country in the mid-ninties and thus, none of these fancy pads were imported. A mouse pad had to be very cheap to sell in the first place.
Those crap pads were paired nicely with Chinese clone mice 😵

and these days, when I could finally buy whatever fancy pad I wished for, I am bound to the proprietary pad of my trusty Q500 serial optical 🤣

(you know, this mouse has two low power sensors for vertical / horizontal and a special, rather hard-to-replace mouse pad is necessary.)

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 15 of 25, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

since i switched to optical i have not used mouse pads until very recently a friend of mine introduced me to the Steelseries 9HD.
SteelSeries-9HD.jpg
It's a lot better then the table surface i used to use!

Reply 16 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been using a simple mousepad with a wrist rest for a couple of months now. I didn't have a mousepad at all for a few years, I think the need for one really depends on the surface you're using.

Reply 17 of 25, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few months back, I bought a Steelseries Experience I-2, which is a rebranded Icemat.

My Logitech G500 tracks fine on it, it's very easy to clean (it's glass, after all!), and overall, I like it, though $40 is damn expensive for a mousepad.

The main reason I don't use my bare desk surface is that the G500's sensor seems to be thrown off by the wood grain at certain points, and chances are it's not a perfectly flat surface, either.

Reply 18 of 25, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've actually just been using a notebook as a mousing surface since my classic machines are on one of those recycled plastic molded folding table deals from Office Depot. The texture fucks the optical sensor something fierce on the older HP laser ps/2 mouse I use with the old machines. My main rig is my laptop that I just have a little logitech travel optical mouse I use on my couch as a surface.

Reply 19 of 25, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P.S. A pic found elsewhere on the Internet of the Logitech Mouseman Pro that I STILL use -> http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-and-Pointi … ton/td-p/571534 .

Best damned ball mouse ever made, and the buttons are super-easy to push and sensitive 😀 I've NEVER "felt" another mouse (even the newfangled high-end gaming mice) where the buttons felt as comfortable 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel