VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What kind of onboard IDE HDD speed do typical socket 7 mobos support? If it's less than UDMA/133, would most typical socket 7 mobos support a PCI-based UDMA/133 expansion controller card? If true, can someone please recommend a controller that I can search for on ebay. Thanks a lot!

Reply 1 of 16, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think some of the later socket 7 motherboards had UDMA33. Most probably just supported PIO modes.

I have a Promise ATA133 PCI card that came with a Maxtor hard drive bought sometime years ago and I had no trouble using that in a Windows 98SE system built around a 233mhz Pentium MMX and the 430TX chipset.

Reply 2 of 16, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a Highpoint HPT370/372 UDMA controller in a 430HX board.

As for the chipsets, already since ISA controller cards Multi Word DMA is supported.
The PIIX3 FB revision (FX, FX66 chipset) PIO4,MWDMA2
The PIIX3 SB revision (HX, VX) support Busmaster DMA and different modes for Master/Slave, BM, PIO4, MWDMA2.
The PIIX4 (TX) support UDMA33,PIO5
Apollo VP1 BM,UDMA33,PIO5
Apollo VP2 BM,UDMA33,PIO5
Apollo VP3 BM,UDMA33,PIO5
Apollo VPX BM,UDMA33,PIO5
Apollo MVP3 BM,UDMA33,PIO5
VXPro,VXPro+ BM,UDMA33,PIO5
Aladdin IV BM,UDMA33,PIO5
Aladdin V BM,UDMA33,PIO5
SIS5571 Trinity BM,MWDMA2,PIO4
SIS5591 BM,UDMA33,PIO5
SIS5598 BM,UDMA33,PIO5

Hmm and Intel NX had SIO and no onboard IDE.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah even MWDMA 2 isn't much of a bottleneck when the CPU is so slow.

But I do tend to drop in a Ultra66 or SATA150TX2 because they are in the drawer. Of course this always causes PCI card juggling to figure out which cards are happy on the same INT.

UDMA66-
VIA Apollo MVP4 w/ VT82C686A (no AGP)
ALI Aladdin 7 w/ M1535D (rare,no AGP)

Reply 5 of 16, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Boards with VIA 596B SB also support UDMA66

Reply 6 of 16, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BastlerMike wrote:

Boards with VIA 596B SB also support UDMA66

you are right. some late mvp3 boards have 596b sb.
some late ali5 boards(rare, such as gigabyte 5ax rev5) also support dma66.

Reply 7 of 16, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why should i bother if iam going to use an 133ATA drive on a UDMA33 controller.. If it works, it works.. It wont be the fastest system at all, so i dont want to use stupid ATA pci controllers. All they do is pumping the pci bus full to the max of 133MB/sec.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 8 of 16, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for the info, people! One day, I will do a comparison test between an on board IDE port, and PCI 66, 100, and 133 speed controller cards. Random thought: I suppose modern IDE-based HDDs are fast, with their integrated cache.

BTW, does anyone know if 40-wire IDE cables are redundant? What I mean is, can I always use 80-wire IDE cables, even for old hardware found in old PCs, such as 386s, etc..

Edit: I changed the phrases "40-pin" and "80-pin" to "40-wire" and "80-wire". Sorry, I didn't mean to use the word pin, because both 40-wire and 80-wire cables are 40-pin.

Reply 9 of 16, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the info, people! One day, I will do a comparison test between an on board IDE port, and PCI 66, 100, and 133 speed controller cards. Random thought: I suppose modern IDE-based HDDs are fast, with their integrated cache.

BTW, does anyone know if 40-wire IDE cables are redundant? What I mean is, can I always use 80-wire IDE cables, even for old hardware found in old PCs, such as 386s, etc..

Edit: I changed the phrases "40-pin" and "80-pin" to "40-wire" and "80-wire". Sorry, I didn't mean to use the word pin, because both 40-wire and 80-wire cables are 40-pin.

80-wire cables are 39-pin 😁

Reply 10 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've actually run into strange occasional problems using 80 wire cables on old boards. I didn't think that would happen but it did. I thought the 80 wire cables could only work better but maybe there's something more to the electrical aspects.

Reply 11 of 16, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've also run into odd problems with ATA33+ cables (80-wire) in older PIO-era devices. I didn't bother too much to analyse why, I just plopped in a 40-wire cable and all was well. Perhaps an impedance mismatch from different frequencies of operation?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 16, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Jetway 542C motherboard,based on the Ali Aladdin 5 chipset,the mb manual says it supports udma 66,but all the info on the internet says aladdin 5 supports only udma 33 and both the hard drive and cd-rom work in udma 33 mode,altough both know udma 66.
So is the manual lying or is there a way to activate udma 66?i read the manual,checked the mb,the bios and i can't find any jumpers or bios settings to activate it.

Reply 13 of 16, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:

I have a Jetway 542C motherboard,based on the Ali Aladdin 5 chipset,the mb manual says it supports udma 66,but all the info on the internet says aladdin 5 supports only udma 33 and both the hard drive and cd-rom work in udma 33 mode,altough both know udma 66.
So is the manual lying or is there a way to activate udma 66?i read the manual,checked the mb,the bios and i can't find any jumpers or bios settings to activate it.

for ali5 boards, look at the revisions of the southbridge chip. if its "1543c a1" then its dma33 only, and only the "1543c b1" supports dma66.

Reply 14 of 16, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I checked the southbridge and its the 1543c b1,so it should support dma 66,so that means either the 2 ide drives don't support it,or somehow i must enable it,but the manual doesn't say anything about ,just to set the drives in bios to auto and the bios will set the drives automatically.

Reply 15 of 16, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:

I checked the southbridge and its the 1543c b1,so it should support dma 66,so that means either the 2 ide drives don't support it,or somehow i must enable it,but the manual doesn't say anything about ,just to set the drives in bios to auto and the bios will set the drives automatically.

if you are using win95osr2 then it may be a little tricky, i am not sure if you have installed the proper ide driver from ali, and whether it would function correctly with win95osr2.
i had used ali5 in win2000 and it worked in dma66 mode even with windows built-in driver, agp videocard compatibility is a pain though.

Reply 16 of 16, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem is that in the post screen before win 95 boots it shows both my drives as udma 33,after the os starts everyting is ok,in device manager both drives show up using dma 33.
Now that i did a bit more research,it seems my cd-rom drive suports only dma 33,probably the hard drive its only dma 33 too,it's an 20gigs Quantum fireball lct 5400 rpm,i,ll have to try with a newer ide drive.
Anyway thx for the info at least now i know the mb has dma 66

Problem solved:it was the cable,only supported dma 33,now i have a newer cable and its working on dma 66.