VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After two hours of fiddeling with not getting my 486 PCI board to boot correctly I see that the power cable to my VGA switch box has unplugged itself... The two beeps I thought was a parity error was just that CMOS system options was not set. No wonder I never got any picture on my monitor..

Yeah, not proud of myself.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 5, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you should tell things like this to your wife/girlfriend at first hand.
but better late then never to find out you did not break anything.
thx for sharing 😀

Reply 2 of 5, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a similar thing happen when I first got my Intel MS440GX Slot-2 board. I thought the board was dead when I didn't get any video or POST right after turning it on, then I find out it just takes a stupidly long time to complete some kind of memory test before the board actually POSTs.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 3 of 5, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh.
I actually did one of those yesterday. I was pulling my hair out trying to get a null modem cable working so I could play some multiplayer on my Win98 laptops. It occurred to me to check the BIOS to make sure the addresses and such were correct. It was then I discovered I had purposefully disabled the COM1 ports on both laptops.

Reply 4 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, same story here! Had a problem getting my A7V333 to power on (I was swapping graphics cards and thought there was something causing a short or something). Turned out the power cable in the middle (was using one of those computer power cable extentioners) had unplugged itself -_-
And also once had the 'honor' of trying to get an IDE device to boot with IDE disabled in the BIOS 🤣

Wasn't there a thread already with all the mistakes we ever made in computing? I'm pretty sure I posted in one such topic, but can't remember if it was here on Vogons.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 5, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last week, after switching 4 VGA cards, 2 motherboards and 3 sets of SDRAM sticks, I realized that the reason for no display output on the screen was due to myself not connecting KVM monior to the VGA card, but the other one sitting on the side, which was not even under power.... 😏

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000