VOGONS

First post, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having acquired two rev1 MT-32s, one working and one in need of repair (they have not arrived to me yet), I've begun thinking up of a project for a new way to utilize the MPU-401 interface. Here's some reasons for doing this:
#1 Mainly so I can save an ISA port on my Pentium 1 and just use one of the USB ports instead. I need both ISA slots for an SB16 and Gravis.
#2 To use in other 98 computers that lack ISA ports.
#3 Work around the common issues that seemingly plague rev1/rev2 MT-32s, problems with genuine and clone MPU-401 interfaces, etc etc etc.
#4 Not having to buy an MPU-401 ISA interface for unfair prices.

So my plan is to use a USB-to-MIDI adapter (Roland still makes them with windows 98 drivers, too). This will be used for the primary communication between the MT-32 and windows 98 & its DOS strapper.

After I do a few tests, I'm going to see if I can write a driver to act as an active software MPU-401 which can hopefully:
#1 be persistent for the so-called "intelligent mode".
#2 act as a wrapper around sysex data so it can change the way it behaves in regards to a new/old MT-32 to prevent buffer overflows in either rev1 or rev2.

The main idea here is that Windows 98 is going to intercept the MT-32 software driver onto DOS-- tricking the games that they "think" it's a real MPU-401, like DOSBox.

Any comments or criticisms welcome. It's been awhile since I did any programming... soo.. may take awhile to sort this out. I can't make any guarantees, but I want to give it a shot. I really do NOT want to sacrifice the spot for the gravis ultrasound.

PS-- I'd like to state two final things:
Because I am not a HOARDER, I plan on selling the 2nd MT-32 after I repair it. I also dislike MT-32s being sold for $100 and over. Because of this, I'll most likely be selling it privately for $50. Hoarders and sellers that take advantage of retro electronics take out all of the fun.

Reply 1 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
raymangold22 wrote:

I'm going to see if I can write a driver to act as an active software MPU-401

Sound like what VDMsound for windows 9X does. Maybe you can use that. Don't know if it has intelligent mode.

The Aureal vortex 9X driver also has a DOS window emulated MPU-401 that can reroute to any windows midi device.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 6, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:
raymangold22 wrote:

I'm going to see if I can write a driver to act as an active software MPU-401

Sound like what VDMsound for windows 9X does. Maybe you can use that. Don't know if it has intelligent mode.

The Aureal vortex 9X driver also has a DOS window emulated MPU-401 that can reroute to any windows midi device.

Thanks for the heads up.
I also want to see about trying to figure out something in regards to the sysex problems. I'll post my experiments here once I get around to playing with things 😉

Turns out the "broken" MT-32 had nothing wrong with it!!! It was working the whole time. Getting an MT-32 for $30 (with shipping) is incredibly amazing. *shrugs*
I guess he forgot to insert a buckazoid?
mt32.png

Reply 3 of 6, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd love fetching a MT-32 again. I foolishly sold it years ago.

However, you said "Roland still makes USB cables with Windows 98 drivers". What cable are you talking about, please? And if it'sthis one, can you give me some advice on it?

Reply 4 of 6, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do these USB adapters support intelligent mode or are you going to implement that in software yourself?

Reply 5 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:

Do these USB adapters support intelligent mode or are you going to implement that in software yourself?

DOSBox does this for you. All the MIDI adapter has to be able to do is transfer SySex.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 6, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

DOSBox does this for you. All the MIDI adapter has to be able to do is transfer SySex.

Even the cheapest USB adapter from Ebay can do this. My CM-32L works nicely in DOSBOX on my Win7 computer.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes