VOGONS

First post, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I currently have a pentium 166 MMX that lets me choose multipliers of 2 up to 5.5 on 66 fsb and from 2 to 3.5 on 83 fsb, but I found on ebay someone who was selling those chips:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-266-MMX … #ht_1736wt_1167

I imagine it's a tillamook but not unsoldered, and that has a fixed x4 multiplier, IIRC. But are they any good for overclocking on 430tx boards? My board has voltage support for 2.2v up to 3.5.

Is it worth it to buy one of those? Thanks

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 1 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of these. I never got it running on 266mhz even with it's 4x multiplier. Could be my board. It just booted on 233mhz. Didn't try to overclock with FSB.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 15, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

I have one of these. I never got it running on 266mhz even with it's 4x multiplier. Could be my board. It just booted on 233mhz. Didn't try to overclock with FSB.

No issues with L2 cache? Did you try to disable it and see if it booted on 4x?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 3 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope, no problems with cache or performance as I could notice. It just didn't want to recognize the 4x multiplier. The BIOS recognized the CPU as a Tillamook, but while the jumper was set on 4x it just booted as 3.5 (233mhz). It is most likely my board which is causing the issues.

Reply 4 of 15, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Nope, no problems with cache or performance as I could notice. It just didn't want to recognize the 4x multiplier. The BIOS recognized the CPU as a Tillamook, but while the jumper was set on 4x it just booted as 3.5 (233mhz). It is most likely my board which is causing the issues.

Ahh, not bad at all then vetz 😀, Is your board based on the MVP3 or Aladdin?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 5 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

See first post.
Your most shitty motherboard?

Reply 6 of 15, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

See first post.
Your most shitty motherboard?

Wow.. now I see why 🙁 🤣

I have high hopes for this Pcchips 430TX mb I have, first one from the brand I actually really like 😜

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 7 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Tillamook 266 worked just fine on my TX board....minus the L2 cache that is.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Certainly not for $30. It is unlikely you'll get it operating to your satisfaction on a 430TX board w/L2 cache enabled. I think running a P233MMX at 3.5x75 on a 430TX board is the way to go.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 9 of 15, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Certainly not for $30. It is unlikely you'll get it operating to your satisfaction on a 430TX board w/L2 cache enabled. I think running a P233MMX at 3.5x75 on a 430TX board is the way to go.

I can also get a brand new one for 12 euros plus shipping (somewhere I saw it) but still, don't know if it's really worth it or not. Is having problems with the L2 cache a common issue on 430TX when using these cpus? If yes, that's a deal breaker for me. 😒

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 10 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, unless you can get a TX board with asynchronous cache. I doubt such a thing exists (but have you checked PC chips offerings?)

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 15, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Yeah, unless you can get a TX board with asynchronous cache. I doubt such a thing exists (but have you checked PC chips offerings?)

I think pcchips only socket 7 offer with 430tx is the m572, which seems to be the one I have. Is there a way to check if the board has that kind of cache via software?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 12 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is difficult to tell for sure, but based on a google image search, I think it has Mcache, which is cheaper pipeline burst cache (almost) equivalent.

Reply 13 of 15, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

It is difficult to tell for sure, but based on a google image search, I think it has Mcache, which is cheaper pipeline burst cache (almost) equivalent.

Oh, now I remember.. BIOS says I have 512k of Pipelined burst L2. Sorry for making too many questions... 😖 but having this kind and pairing up the system with a tillamook if I want to have working L2 is a non go,am I right?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 14 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is probably a dead end, but maybe you'll surprise us. This topic has been discussed before. Try reading through this post,
Tillamook

There are also other posts on this topic.

Reply 15 of 15, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

It is probably a dead end, but maybe you'll surprise us. This topic has been discussed before. Try reading through this post,
Tillamook

There are also other posts on this topic.

Yes.. I already read it a bit.. Here's a pic of the cache chips my motherboard has:

m572_07.jpg

Wish me the best of the luck though :laugh:

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png