VOGONS

First post, by Kensuke_Aida

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Damn retro bug!

So after doing some research, I've decided the best way to proceed with a retro build is to go the build-it-yourself clone route. I'm looking to build something that would have been considered state-of-the-art in the late 90s and will run Windows 98 SE/DOS 7.10.

I need something with 1 or more ISA slots (primarily for the sound card), and it's probably going to be either Slot 1 or Socket 7 (I would really like to use a vintage AMD CPU, like a K6-2, but I won't sneeze at a Pentium). Possibly newer if it meets the ISA requirement and can boot the OS I want. AGP and USB really aren't needed.

I have a drawer full of SDRAM (I have some 72-pin SIMMS too, but they suck), a spare IDE HD, and an optical drive. The 1.44MB floppy, video and sound cards should be fairly easy to source. ATX and Micro ATX cases are pretty easy. I'm pretty sure I know where I can get an AWE64 Gold and vintage Voodoo. If the MB doesn't have Ethernet, I can get one of those cheap too. PS/2 keyboards and mice can be had for a song.

The biggest single obstacle I'm finding is the MoBo + CPU combo. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to keep my eyes peeled for that?

- John

Reply 1 of 9, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How about a SS7 AOpen AX59 Pro?
AGP1x, PCI & ISA slots. Supports all Socket7 cpu's as far as I know and SDR-SDRAM.
Pop in one of these; http://www.ebay.com/itm/280722531642 and you've got one of the best Socket7 systems.

For gaming however, I think you would want to go with at least a Pentium II or III because they have a hugely improved FPU over the socket7 cpu's.

And Late 90s is a very wide area; 1997 was at best a Pentium II 300MHz and 1999 saw the Pentium III at 733MHz.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 2 of 9, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can go S7 or SS7; many ways
Intel all the way, TX chipset and a Pentium MMX. TX has SDRAM support.
VIA VPX, usually has at least 1 SDRAM slot, and supports all S7 cpu's.
Ali Aladdin or VIA MVP3, good SS7 chipsets with AGP.
Or Slot 1; or early socket 370.
BX rules. There are some VIA chipsets too. Myself I use a VIA 693 for my jack-of-all-trades system.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 3 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Slot 1 is generally cheaper than socket 7 at the current moment.
I would say you get more flexibility with playing the late demanding 1990's game (Unreal, Quake3) with a Slot 1 system compared to a fast Socket 7. If you were to go for the slot 1 route I would recommend a 440BX motherboard like the Asus P3B-F (V1.03 or V1.04). It supports Tualatin processors without the Powerleap adapter (just needs pin mod or pin adapter), jumper free BIOS for easy changes (no turning off the power and open the case to switch jumpers), good AGP and 133mhz (unoffical) support. All this while also having 1-2 ISA slots depending on the board.

Last edited by vetz on 2013-04-15, 23:06. Edited 2 times in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 9, by Kensuke_Aida

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These are all good ideas. Keep 'em coming.

Does AGP present a problem in DOS? I know very definitely I'm going ISA on the soundcard.

I don't foresee myself doing too much 3D gaming on this machine. There are source ports for most of the 3D games I might want to play. If I could do 1024x768 x 32bit with good clarity in Windows, while being DOS compatible, I'd be happy. That means I'd only *need* about 4MB of VRAM.

I said Voodoo just because I can get a PCI Voodoo 3 for about $10 and I know it's decent for 2D too.

- John

Reply 5 of 9, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo 3 is a good choice. I'd say a BX board and a unlocked Pentium II if DOS is your goal.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 6 of 9, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Slot1 CPUs are easiest to handle, you just push them into their slot and you're done: no need for thermal paste and dancing with radiators. There are even some fanless Slot1 CPU packages - there are few at Ebay. This really helps with lowering your rig's noise.

AGP video cards pose no problem in DOS.

Thus a Slot1 440BX mobo is recommended. ASUS P2B (3 ISA slots), P2B-F(2 ISA slots), P3B-F(1 or 2 ISA slots) - these are common in retro-builds. Alternatively you can go for Chaintech 6BTM or ABIT BE6-II.

Reply 9 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

first, OMG I CANT WAIT FOR 3.33 TO COME OUT ON BLU-RAY OMG!

second, What do you want to PLAY on this retro rig? That is how I build all my systems. For example, my current project is a 8086 system with CGA. It is designed for the games that use < 640k of ram. the next step is a hot-rod 386. followed by a voodoo1/pentium 2 setup. And so forth. Nail down EXACTLY what you want to play on the system, then build a rig around it. That is my advice.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.