VOGONS

Voodoo card issue

Topic actions

First post, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again & sorry for bumping this old topic, but figured it would be better to bump the old one, instead of opening new...

Once again, I seem to be having problems with the Voodoo cards, except this time I'm running two of them in SLI, Diamond Monster 3D II Voodoo2 models. For some random, weird reason, Voodoo system seems to be crashing randomly, leaving either black or dimmed screen with all the controls blocked, which means I have to restart. One more thing that might be important is that when I do experience this issue, sometimes I have to reboot the entire system, in order to get the Voodoo2 again, otherwise it just hangs & stops responding, even after then restart. I repeat, not always - only sometimes.

Rest of the system specs are:

FIC VB-601 motherboard, Pentium II 350MHz, 20Gb hard disk drive, 256mb of RAM, Diamond Monster 3D Audio sound + Creative Wave Blaster addon, for MPU-401. Primary video card is ATI RageIIc, operating at 1280x1024, 16bit color

Even though the actual cards are Diamond Monster, I'm running generic 3dfx drivers, the latest version (with the new 3dfx logo, says V2-1000 in the control panel)

Last edited by Trekkie4 on 2013-05-28, 16:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 20, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you do a clean Windows install? And more info won't hurt either (driver version, game title etc)

If you just want to make sure the card's working, you can just boot into DOS and try running Tomb Raider with 3dfx patch (there's a free Glide demo if you look around).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 3 of 20, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure what you meant to say by that, but yeah - I guess so... Because the same model, Voodoo1 from 3dfx itself, seems to be working just fine!

Hmm, never thought of that one... Yes, I'll try with DOS, Tomb Raider! And yes, I tried re-installing Windows several times, both Win98 first edition & SE, nothing!
Oh, and sorry 🤣. The game was Carmageddon 2, but I couldn't get it to start on ANY game, as I also tried with SpeedBusters & got the same results...

Update:
I tried with DOS mode, Tomb Raider DEMO & got the same problem, system locking up the moment 3dfx logo appears. Could it be some sort of BIOS problem, perhaps something is causing the problems to Voodoo card, causing all these mess? 🙁

Reply 4 of 20, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rule of thumb with the V1 is that most don't installed them in systems with a cpu clocked any higher than usually 400mhz due to a bug of some sort. The V2 doesn't have that issue and will continue to scale for much longer than almost any other 3DFX card. Once college is over this semester and there is some extra cash on hand to burn I am going to move my two V2 over to my dual 3ghz xeon rig.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 20, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried both cards inside Pentium MMX, with only 200MHz clock and got the same results so IDK... I'm about to give up, there's nothing else I can try apart from other motherboard, PC

Besides, I have yet another Voodoo1 from 3dfx itself, which seems to be working just fine... (and plenty of other Voodoo cards, so I'll just keep these as souvenir) 😒

Reply 6 of 20, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trekkie4 wrote:

Update:
I tried with DOS mode, Tomb Raider DEMO & got the same problem, system locking up the moment 3dfx logo appears. Could it be some sort of BIOS problem, perhaps something is causing the problems to Voodoo card, causing all these mess? 🙁

OK, that rules out hardware conflict in Win9x. The Voodoo doesn't use
IRQ anyway so there's less chance for that. So assuming you're running everything at default BIOS config on your two machines, it could be hardware incompatibility. Just out of curiosity, what's the motherboard you're using in all three builds (Duron, P200MMX and PII)?

nforce4max wrote:

Rule of thumb with the V1 is that most don't installed them in systems with a cpu clocked any higher than usually 400mhz due to a bug of some sort.

I had a Monster 3D installed on an ASUS P2B with a P3-450 without problem. That rule of thumb only makes me want to try a faster P3 on this "proven" platform to check it out, but I don't have any at the moment.

Reply 8 of 20, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IMHO, there's not much point in trying different PCI slots, because I already tried on 2 different motherboards... But if anything else fails, I'll give it a try!

As for the motherboards, P2 has P6I440BX/B1S, Duron is EP-8KTA2, and for P200MMX I'm not sure, considering I just bought it few days ago, but it has to be something old since it has EDO RAM & AT layout.

Anyhow, I got another motherboard yesterday, it's Abit BE6 with 433MHz Celeron (socket 370, with the conversion kit to SLOT1) So once I have it up and running, I'll test both Voodoo cards one more time, without any additional hardware (apart from the primary, 2D graphics card) 😀

Reply 9 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Trekkie4 wrote:

IMHO, there's not much point in trying different PCI slots, because I already tried on 2 different motherboards... But if anything else fails, I'll give it a try!

On two different 440BX motherboards I've tried the cards ATI Rage and ATI Rage II does not work in the PCI slot closest to the AGP slot. Need to use the one next to it or another. So there can be a difference. Never experienced a problem with the Voodoo cards though, but I'm using another slot for those cards.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 20, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow! Ok then, knowing this, I'll DEFINITELY try different PCI slots! Thank you very much for this information. (although, I was using the 3rd or 4th PCI slot for Voodoo card, so definitely not the closest one to AGP)

Reply 11 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Trekkie4 wrote:

Besides, I have yet another Voodoo1 from 3dfx itself, which seems to be working just fine... (and plenty of other Voodoo cards, so I'll just keep these as souvenir) 😒

Does this card work in the same computers you tested the Diamond and Righteous card in without any changes to PCI slot/BIOS settings/drivers?

If this is the case I am worried that the cards might be broken. My Righteous card works in all my systems (two socket 7, two 440BX) without problems on an array of different types of RAM and CPU's. The only card I've experienced lockups on the 3DFX logo is with my Diamond Monster II 12mb, which hangs on Glide stuff and displays garbles on OpenGL and Direct3D when used separately. Luckily it works in a SLI setup so I can still find some use for it 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 12 of 20, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I'm afraid it is... 🙁 As Voodoo1 from 3dfx seems to be working in both systems, P200 & Duron.

But if that's really the case here, if the card really IS broken, then how is it possible for either Orchid or Diamond Monster to successfully complete dxdiag tests? Because, like i said in my original post, both cards seem to be displaying image just fine. Both direct draw & Direct3D.

Reply 13 of 20, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again & sorry for bumping this old topic, but figured it would be better to bump the old one, instead of opening new...

Once again, I seem to be having problems with the Voodoo cards, except this time I'm running two of them in SLI, Diamond Monster 3D II Voodoo2 models. For some random, weird reason, Voodoo system seems to be crashing randomly, leaving either black or dimmed screen with all the controls blocked, which means I have to restart. One more thing that might be important is that when I do experience this issue, sometimes I have to reboot the entire system, in order to get the Voodoo2 again, otherwise it just hangs & stops responding, even after then restart. I repeat, not always - only sometimes.

Rest of the system specs are:

FIC VB-601 motherboard, Pentium II 350MHz, 20Gb hard disk drive, 256mb of RAM, Diamond Monster 3D Audio sound + Creative Wave Blaster addon, for MPU-401. Primary video card is ATI RageIIc, operating at 1280x1024, 16bit color

Even though the actual cards are Diamond Monster, I'm running generic 3dfx drivers, the latest version (with the new 3dfx logo, says V2-1000 in the control panel)

Reply 16 of 20, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trekkie4 wrote:

No textures from what I remember, only solid colors... Green, blue, red & yellow. I'd have to check though, to be 100% sure about this.

If the cube test runs without problems and it is the one that doesn't display textures on whatever graphics card you try running it on then probably the voodoo has bad ram. Maybe you could replace the bad chips if your card is important for you.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 17 of 20, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I don't think you understood me... Both cards seem to be running OK, I even tried swapping them between the slots, I put the 2nd Voodoo2 in 1st slot & vice versa, but I'm still getting the same issue...

Other than that, everything seems to be running OK, I can play the games such as Unreal, Half-Life & others at 1024x768, which means that SLI is working... But sometimes the game crashes right away, after only few minutes of gameplay, and sometimes it crashes after 1-2 hours... Like I said, it's completely random!

Reply 18 of 20, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really hate to double-post once again, but I'm hoping this will help someone, someday... Yes, I indeed found the problem, and it's not even related to Voodoo2 cards!

Apparently all the problems have been caused by Aureal Vortex 2 sound chipset, aka Diamond Monster MX300 sound card! Some guy (long time ago) reported the same issues, but they've been fixed using Aureal reference drivers instead of the original ones, by Diamond... IDK if it works or not, but there's only one way to find out 😀

Reply 19 of 20, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

great that you found the solution had a similar prob with my mx300 blamed everything from ram to motherboard. Only when uninstalled everything and forgot to put the mx300 did the problem disappear..